FIRST RANGE SESSION WITH BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMAX

Reaction score
I took my new TC Endeavor and three Encores (my kids guns) to the range this weekend and spent about six hours total shooting BH209. All shots were taken with a 120 grain load and 250 grain Shockwave in the supplied black sabots and Federal 209A primers. I don't have a chronograph, so I have no idea what the velocity was, but to me the accuracy was great. I let the guns cool but did not swab between shots (which was great!).
The Endeavor had never been shot before. The third group out of this gun was 7/8" at 100yards. On each of the other Encores I had half inch groups going, but took a little break to make some phone calls and re-hydrate. The temp went from mid seventies to about 84 in the meantime and the third shot on each Encore strayed about an inch. I'm a happy camper. Cleaning was amazing....a few patches with No 9 and the barrel was clean, breach plugs were dirtier than the barrel and actually took more time to clean.
I used a Caldwell Lead Sled and really liked it. I think I read somewhere that your point of impact might change going from a Lead Sled
to say shooting sticks, anyone have any knowledge of this?

Sounds like you had a great day at the range! I wanted to go but we had tropical storm/depression weather all day.

I think I read somewhere that your point of impact might change going from a Lead Sled
to say shooting sticks, anyone have any knowledge of this?

It COULD. Only one way to find out!

TMAX said:
breach plugs were dirtier than the barrel and actually took more time to clean.

I noticed that as well. It may be the hotter primers (versus the ML ones) or the BH209 blowback or a combination of both.

TMAX said:
I think I read somewhere that your point of impact might change going from a Lead Sled to say shooting sticks, anyone have any knowledge of this?

I use a single foam block to support the forearm when shooting from the bench. I also practice shooting from cross sticks. My point of impact seems to be the same for me.

This will vary from gun to gun even identical ones, That is why after all the bench a "0" ing in is done, the off hand POI should be checked, to do this you can hold the gun in your hand as you would shooting off hand but use sand bags or some other pliable material to brace your arms if you are not steady enough to fell that you are dead on the target. Lee

Thanks for the input guys...the Lead Sled was awesome...it really helped me see the potential in these guns, I was pleasantly surprised....and the BH209 was phenomenal.

How about the receiver , how dirty did it get. With my Encore, shooting 777, the receiver got a little dirty. thanks

The breech end of the barrel, the area around the breech plug, and the receiver area (where the firing pin comes out) were a bit dirty on all but he Endeavor. The Endeavor was spotless outside and a breeze to clean the entire gun (maybe ten minutes).

Back