Hunting with Plunger Guns

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cant see a patch wearing out a barrel, maybe a ramrod wearing out a crown etc.

Lee 9 said:
Over the last 60 years of shooting muzzleloaders [I started when I was 20 years old] I have worn out several barrels all on side locks I do not know if the patch wears more than a sabot or if it was ramrod wear.

Could be the fouling on the patch that wears the barrel?

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Maybe but find it hard to believe the fouling in a side lock could be harder then the steel barrel(LEAD is soft,powder fouling is no way near barrel hardness)..maybe more like barrel erosion from shooting hot loads for a lot of years.

herschel conyers said:
Could be the fouling on the patch that wears the barrel?

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Ramrod to crown wear was common before we started using brass alignment bushings it is easily fixed by cutting off 1.5 inches and crowning.
The kind of wearing out I speak of is only repaired by ream and rifling over and a new barrel is usually more economical. Back in the 70's and 80's when I was building Hawken rifles this was a fairly common problem for people who shot competition and put several thousand rounds through a rifle in a year. I just don't see that with sabot guns.

I agree thousands of rounds can wear a barrel out..

Lee 9 said:
Ramrod to crown wear was common before we started using brass alignment bushings it is easily fixed by cutting off 1.5 inches and crowning.
The kind of wearing out I speak of is only repaired by ream and rifling over and a new barrel is usually more economical. Back in the 70's and 80's when I was building Hawken rifles this was a fairly common problem for people who shot competition and put several thousand rounds through a rifle in a year. I just don't see that with sabot guns.

Thanks for all the replies. Work got busy this week. I will be staying with my Knights. I wouldn't be apposed to finding an older T/C walnut stocked plunger either. I'll keep my eyes open for a deal.

rugerbh103 said:
Does anyone still hunt with plunger guns? I have an MK-85 as my primary rifle, an LK-93 I bought when I turned 18, and an LK-93 I recently bought cheap. I have killed a bunch of deer with the first two. Some times I wonder if I'm missing out not having one of the newer rifles. One the other hand I still take deer every year with the old Knights. Keep thinking of picking up something newer, but also can't shake the desire for a walnut stocked MK-85. So, to those of you with the newer guns am I missing out?

Unless you are a fan of Blackhorn, you aren't missing out on anything.
My opinion says the best MLs are the ones with weatherproof ignitions....ie.... fall / break-actions. Less concern in wet weather and less concern about the bottom of scopes becoming a mess.

I wouldn't even buy a bolt-action ML. Never owned one - never will.

Back