Hunting with Plunger Guns

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
Does anyone still hunt with plunger guns? I have an MK-85 as my primary rifle, an LK-93 I bought when I turned 18, and an LK-93 I recently bought cheap. I have killed a bunch of deer with the first two. Some times I wonder if I'm missing out not having one of the newer rifles. One the other hand I still take deer every year with the old Knights. Keep thinking of picking up something newer, but also can't shake the desire for a walnut stocked MK-85. So, to those of you with the newer guns am I missing out?

I hunt with White rifles, not Knight, killed two deer last season with the .451 Super 91 (plunger) Its my go to deer killer every year.
I got a CVA Optima V2 rifle an pistol too. The pistol more for just shooting fun. The rifle killed two deer in the late ML season in VA. so I have the best of both worlds. IMO

Your not missing out on anything, as long as your guns please you and make meat whats not to like?

Pretty much all I hunt with unless its a side lock, I do have 2 Omegas that I haven't hunted with yet and a Knight Master Hunter that's zeroed in but hasn't been in the woods yet.
I really like plunger guns especially Whites and the MK-85 `s.. oh yeah also love the T.C Black Diamonds/Firehawks have killed a whole bunch of deer with them.

The only gun in my entire family's arsenal that isn't a plunger is my wife's traditions and its a bolt action plunger gun. I had a break action once tc something it couldn't hold a candle to my plungers shooting big lead so it got traded. The only advantage i see to the non plungers is the use of blackhorn and i enjoy cleaning my guns so cleanups not bad.

I have 2 Black Diamonds. A 50 XR and a Super 45 XR. The 50 is blued/walnut and the 45 stainless/Tupperware. But still looking for a walnut stock...
Both are aperture sighted, burn Holy Black, light with #11' S and are legal everywhere. They are absolutely reliable and equally lethal.
Plungers are the best!

The only muzzleloaders i've ever hunted with are sidelocks, real black and a PRB. I never felt like i'm missing out. It's a choice we all make. Don't worry about what others are doing. If you like your gun. You're fine.

I have all plunger guns at this time. I have had break opens, disc rifles, and side-locks but the plunger rifles are the most fun for me. I have an assortment of mk85's and Whites. They do everything I need for recreational shooting and hunting. I just need more play time!

Good points from everyone. Sounds like I will continue my search for a walnut stocked MK-85. Keep me in mind if anyone sees one for sale they don't want.

I saw that. A little too much for me. What do they usually go for? I paid 100 for my stainless composite MK-85 a few years ago, and 75 for an LK-93 this year. Is that unrealistic?

the gun in the classifieds is basically a new gun so its worth the asking price, used ones that have been shot a lot and show wear(no rust or pitting though) are worth 175-250.. pretty hard to find them in as good a shape as the one Greg has in the classifieds..
Ive paid as little as 75.00 for mk-85s, BK`s etc if they have pitting in barrel or rust.

rugerbh103 said:
I saw that. A little too much for me. What do they usually go for? I paid 100 for my stainless composite MK-85 a few years ago, and 75 for an LK-93 this year. Is that unrealistic?

rugerbh103 said:
One the other hand I still take deer every year with the old Knights. Keep thinking of picking up something newer, but also can't shake the desire for a walnut stocked MK-85.

I think you have answered your own question. You should find yourself a walnut stocked MK-85.
The rifle in my profile pic is an MK-85, 54cal I bought in 1995, and yes, I still hunt with it. Idaho doesn't allow shotgun primers, (so no Blackhorn) sabots, pellets, magnifying scopes, or copper projectiles, so the old Knight is still all the technology I need.
I have a 50cal TC Omega variant I bought because I wanted to actually be able to walk into a store and hopefully find lead conicals to walk out with, wanted to shoot slightly lighter bullets, and I like how easy it is to clean, with the break-action. So far, it hasn't yielded the accuracy to warrant hunting with it. So, MK-85 it is.

I sold all my plunger guns now I use either side locks or inlines with a sealed breach, I enjoy side locks enough to put up with the necessary cleaning and a sealed breach inline is no trouble but plunger guns are an unnecessary mess.

If I ever get to the point where I don't have time or am too lazy to clean my muzzleloaders I will put my cartridge rifles back to use.

A lot of us still enjoy shooting traditional side locks, I still have several I will never part with. But the question it self " hunting with plunger guns" hints at the fact of their becoming obsolete I believe there are only 3 manufacturers still making them. If you really prefer them you might consider storing a couple of new ones if you are a young person.

Lee 9 said:
A lot of us still enjoy shooting traditional side locks, I still have several I will never part with. But the question it self " hunting with plunger guns" hints at the fact of their becoming obsolete I believe there are only 3 manufacturers still making them. If you really prefer them you might consider storing a couple of new ones if you are a young person.
No worries here. For one thing the guns are so simple there is very little that can go wrong with them unless you don't take care of your rifles. Secondly, I have enough spare parts for my mk 85's and my White rifles to keep my great grandchildren shooting for their lifetimes.

Don't believe the plunger guns will ever be totally obsolete.
I've never seen where theres a whole lot of difference in cleaning time between any of them, only takes a couple extra minutes to clean bolt in a plunger gun, the barrel/breech plug can be cleaned just as fast as a break open gun after you've done them for awhile..I like the feel of plunger guns they feel more like a rifle where the break opens feel like a sculptured 2x4 to me.

I enjoy side locks as well and don't really find them anymore difficult to clean then any of the others.

flounder said:
Lee 9 said:
No worries here. For one thing the guns are so simple there is very little that can go wrong with them unless you don't take care of your rifles. Secondly, I have enough spare parts for my mk 85's and my White rifles to keep my great grandchildren shooting for their lifetimes.

Over the last 60 years of shooting muzzleloaders [I started when I was 20 years old] I have worn out several barrels all on side locks I do not know if the patch wears more than a sabot or if it was ramrod wear.

Back