Hunting with BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rangeball

Reaction score
Is it critical to shoot the load at the end of the day? Or can you leave it un-shot for as long as it takes?

in foul weather, keep the muzzle covered and the rain out, you'll be good to go!

I like to take an ear plug, the foam type, cut it in half and at the end of the day, stick it into the primer hole and slam the rifle shut. Once the foam expands it will help keep moisture out. I do the same with the sidelocks. Works good too!

I have hunted for up to a week in wet/dry weather and always had it go bang. I see no reason to shoot it until you see an animal or get to the end of the hunt. Haven't had any rust issues so far.

i live in florida where it goes from 50's to 70's in the same day and rains durring gun season so we have tons of moisture. i leave my gun loaded with black horn with a spent primer in the hole and electric tape over the muzzle in my shed when i am home during seasaon so it dont warm up in the house then go out in the cool or cold air and sweat. i've had it loaded for a month and a half and it fired just like i just opened a new jug and loaded it, and also have had no issues with rust even left it for two weeks(dang neer killed me!) un cleaned after shooting it just to see what the black horn would do and it did nothin the stuff is the best there is.

I had left mine loaded since a hunt in December and didn't go to the range until a month ago. Went off fine. The shot was low, but so were the others so I think my scope got bumped.

marshall9779 said:
I had left mine loaded since a hunt in December and didn't go to the range until a month ago. Went off fine. The shot was low, but so were the others so I think my scope got bumped.

Any corrosion in the BP or "chamber" area?

Latest posts

Back