How Many

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really ? Geez lol, i have either hunted with my crossbow or one of my ML's for past 10 yrs during Firearms seasons. I am thinking last time i hunted an shot a deer with a rifle was 2012. I heart shot a small Buck with my friends 32-20 Marlin
Yep, I hunted with my vertical bow during the gun season and then went to my crossbow. And I sometimes scored a buck, too.

My dad used to use his inline during the gun season.

Not me and in my 45+ years of hunting I’ve yet to see anyone else carrying one during the regular firearms seasons.
I have seen a cpl other guys besides myself carry a muzzleloader during Gen gun season between the 3 states I grew up hunting in. Since around 02-03 I have only used muzzleloaders. When I see another guy with a ML during gen gun season, I, & prob most everyone else will assume 1 of 2 things instantly - if they are dressed like Daniel Boone, they are a hard core "traditionalist" & thats their lifestyle, and then theres - everybody else ya think - FELON or they'd have a CF gun like everybody else. Yes, there are exceptions to every rule, or norm, but they are going to be few & far between me thinks.

Last edited:
Back to the OP, my favorite deer season is the alternative/muzzleloader season in Missouri, which usually starts around Christmas and goes for 10 days. Nothing can beat hunting with snow on the ground and late season patterns.

Back to the OP, my favorite deer season is the alternative/muzzleloader season in Missouri, which usually starts around Christmas and goes for 10 days. Nothing can beat hunting with snow on the ground and late season patterns.
We sure can run amuck off topic in a hurry & stray faaaaaarrrrrr & wiiiiide can't we. Just dang glad I ain't never been one to do that kinda stuff LOL
Back to the OP!

Since ~'03, I've usually carried 2 guns into the field with me.
1. H&R Rifled Slug gun in 12 gauge. It was produced with a 10 guage barrel blank bored for a 12 gauge slug. Deadly with Hornady SSTs out to 200+ but I've generally limited my deer shooting range to 150y and closer. The stock is worn, scratched and beat up. Barrel bore is still bright and shiney. It's also quick to reload in case a heard of 'em come by. It is heavy..
2. Ultimate MZ from UF. For deer out to 300y max for me. Accuracy has been well documented since these came out ~20 years ago.
Have killed many with each and have fond memories with both, but given my body's 'out of warranty' status on some parts, it will mostly be just the muzzy from here on out..

Count me in as well. Resurrected this original Rem 700ML with some new wood from Boyd's, trigger from Timney and Badger Ridge bolt/breech plug 209 conversion.

I saw the writing on the wall a LONG time ago. As many other rigs I've used etc over the years, I decided from here out to only hunt with my bow and ML. The diet it takes to feed the others has all been labeled, stacked and stored with a few carrying Gamma Seal lids. Also just picked a very early TC Hawken for a song to complete my ML needs. I don't feel handicapped one bit for making meat. Well, I forgot. I also use a .41 Rem Mag Ruger Super Black Hawk Hunter with handloaded 210gr Speer Deep Curls. I can honestly say, I'll never need to purchase ANY factory feed or component ever again and I have 0 regrets or complaints. I have 10x more enjoyment from shooting my bow and frontloaders anyway.

SHADOWFOX64
Put up that Black Hawk and get yourself an Old Army. You’ll ask why you didn't do it years ago.

This year I had to because I couldn’t find enough Hornady 20ga slugs locally to site in. County Land is right up against a city subdivision. I promised the owner no high power rifles. So slugs, bow, 00 or ML only. ML is ultimately most fun.

Latest posts

Back