i cant see my target with open sights!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
For MONTHS i have had the hardest time seeing my 100 yard target with both a 3" and 4" black bulls eye. I've dealt with it but last week when i went to the NRA i noticed they used some big 4'x2' target back boards. I could see them very easily with a smaller 3" black dot on a white paper back ground.

Today i found a left over target frame and set it up with a nice sized piece of cardboard and stapled it up and carried it out to my range. Its amazing how the green leaves and stuff on the ground can screw up your eye sight causing eye strain.

I had ZERO problems seeing this 2" orange dot today. It stuck out like a sore thumb, i didnt get any headaches like i have been getting, no squinting, no having to look up from the rifle and then get the sight picture set up real fast. I also can now see my sand bucket easily with it being in front of the cardboard.
Plainsman-100yrds-oddsprue007.jpg

Zoomed in with my camera at 10x,
Plainsman-100yrds-oddsprue015.jpg

Zoomed in a 3x ( Yeah it sucks badly!)
Plainsman-100yrds-oddsprue016.jpg

FG

called aging, gets a higher number every year and slower body functions as well. Do like me and don't accept it! :roll:

:( :cry: :( :cry:

I really wanted to use my iron sights on my accura but aging wouldn't allow it. I had to put a scope so I went with a Nikon 2x7. :!:

OptimaAndy said:
thought you had a scope on the accura???

Yep i do but i can not use it during hunting season. My 2 flintlocks are open sights and i had to figure something out so i could shoot them well.

frontier gander said:
OptimaAndy said:
thought you had a scope on the accura???

Yep i do but i can not use it during hunting season. My 2 flintlocks are open sights and i had to figure something out so i could shoot them well.

no scopes during ML season? BUT you could during the regular firearms season :D :D

Thats correct, i could use it if i went for a 2rd or 3rd season bull elk during rifle season. Now that i can see my target, I'll be all set!

Seeing animals is no problem for me. My eyes were just getting out of wack due to all of the weeds and brush in the way. Im going to do some cleaning up back there in a few days and see how that goes.

FG... I'm afflicted the same as you... "experienced eye sight!" I have a hard time with my archery bow sight in poor early morning and last light evenings... the red pins especially. Like where did they get so fuzzy?

The flight surgeons back in the army told all of us "hot shot pilots" that this would happen to us all someday. "Oh, and most all of ya will need reading glasses by 45 years of age." Dang if they're not correct! Crud!!

I put a 3-10x scope on my Accura to handle the issue. I use about 4x when practicing at 100 yards kneeling for Kansas this year. No worries now.

Hang tough!

Latest posts

Back