Hornady - New 50 cal ELD-X

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t understand why powerbelts haven’t updated their bullets. Actually, I guess they did somewhat, with the ELR, which is a tougher lead alloy. As far as I know, all the other PBS are still just soft lead, with some having a copper or platinum outside that does nothing to make the bullet tougher.

It has to be money: that the original is still selling well so why change a good thing? Eventually their lack of innovation will catch up with them. The bullets are virtually unchanged since they came out 30 years ago as “black belt bullets”

Powerbelt has stopped producing the standard .45 PBs. Only the ELR version is now available in .45.

Nice BC, would love to hear some feed back on how well the bullet obsturation bites the rifling. Why does it need to be .499?
I would think because the bullet itself is a slip fit and the skirt is what engages the rifling. That's a similar idea to what my paper patched .45 cal bullet does. I run it with a felt wad under it and to seat the bullet takes just a bit more than the weight of the ramrod.

Back