Hornady - New 50 cal ELD-X

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool bullet. Wish it had been out a few months ago. Would have tried it out. Accuracy may be better but doesn’t look any tougher than the original BOR driver.

~11m55s they state designed for 1:28 or faster for twist rates.

New tip design and not the 'heat shield tip' material. They say it is a conventional DELRIN (Polyoxymethylene, aka POM), and that this is more optimal for terminal performance.

RE the BC increase, with a 100y zero they are claiming ~2ft less drop at 300y vs original bore driver (16m00s).

I was curious about the BC on these. Didn’t notice it till now in the advertising. They claim it’s .315 G1 (~ 15:30). First the guy said .345 then he corrected himself. 😒. This is compared to the 290 gr FTX Bore Driver’s BC of .135. Significant improvement.

Isn’t the Powerbelt ELR 45cal, 280gr BC around 0.31? (Advertised at 0.45).
Diameter plays a huge role in BC and I wouldn’t expect to see this larger 50cal, by Hornady with the same, even with the extra weight.

This is interesting. I'd love to see more on these. Looks like a good bullet for the smokeless setups.

Last edited:
I don’t understand why powerbelts haven’t updated their bullets. Actually, I guess they did somewhat, with the ELR, which is a tougher lead alloy. As far as I know, all the other PBS are still just soft lead, with some having a copper or platinum outside that does nothing to make the bullet tougher.

It has to be money: that the original is still selling well so why change a good thing? Eventually their lack of innovation will catch up with them. The bullets are virtually unchanged since they came out 30 years ago as “black belt bullets”

Back