Hit the range today with the Remington UML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornfedkiller

Reaction score
Took advantage of the nice weather today and took the new Remington Ultimate out to my buddy's range.

Now before I begin, I will post a disclaimer and let you guys know that I have never been a GREAT shot with a rifle. I was using a lead sled so that helps, but I've never been a competition-grade marksman.

Was using Barnes Expander 290 grain bullets, black Harvester crush-rib sabots, and 130 grains by volume of Blackhorn 209.

Anyways, started off at 50 yards, and first shot was about 8" low, so I dialed the scope up and put the next shot dead in the bullseye. Moved back to 100 yards, and first shot was right in the bulls as well, next two were a little to the right, as the picture shows below.

I then put a target out at 200 yards, and fired two shots. Both bullets were about 1.5" apart, about 8" below the target. Didn't take any pictures of that though.

Moved the target to 150, which is where I want the scope zeroed, and fired a couple rounds. I had a couple groups that were decent, and moved the scope around a little to center it, but didnt always let the barrel cool back down before shooting again, so that's probably why I had a few that were a couple inches off. Decided to call it quits at 150 and move back to 100.

Went back to 100 and my next 3 rounds were all touching each other, about 3" high. Moved the scope back down about 1.5" (Remington says I should be about 1.5" to be centered at 150), and with a pretty sore shoulder, I decided to call it quits for the day.

All in all, I will say that I like the gun quite a bit. I never swabbed between shots, and I probably shot 18-20 shots. The action stayed very clean with no blowback at all. I never messed with the trigger at all, which I would like to lighten up just a little, but I definitely like it way more than any other muzzleloader trigger I've used.

I'm looking forward to spring getting here so I can shoot it some more.

Try a ballistic base. Ive tried them with a few stout loads, sometimes it was an improvement. At worst there was no noticeable change

Awful good shooting for someone whose not a great shot. If that's your first time out with the Rem you should have left the range with a big smile on your face.

BuckDoeHunter said:
How was the loading pressure using the Crush Rib sabots?

I switched to them when I was shooting my T/C because the blue sabots that come with the bullets were pretty tight push down the barrel - in fact, my fiance couldn't push a bullet down hers. The crush ribs are waaay easier to push down the barrel. I'm not sure how much "resistance" there should be when you push the bullet down, but I would say if anything, they maybe push down a little TOO easy. But they don't seem to negatively impact my accuracy..

Squeeze said:
Try a ballistic base. Ive tried them with a few stout loads, sometimes it was an improvement. At worst there was no noticeable change

Ballistic base? Not sure if I know what that is.

cornfedkiller said:
BuckDoeHunter said:
How was the loading pressure using the Crush Rib sabots?

I switched to them when I was shooting my T/C because the blue sabots that come with the bullets were pretty tight push down the barrel - in fact, my fiance couldn't push a bullet down hers. The crush ribs are waaay easier to push down the barrel. I'm not sure how much "resistance" there should be when you push the bullet down, but I would say if anything, they maybe push down a little TOO easy. But they don't seem to negatively impact my accuracy..

Squeeze said:

Ballistic base? Not sure if I know what that is.

It is a MMP Sub-base - developed to aid smoleless shooters shooting sabots. I use them for shooting full bore rifle bullets - they seal the bore very well.

cornfedkiller said:
Was using Barnes Expander 290 grain bullets, black Harvester crush-rib sabots, and 130 grains by volume of Blackhorn 209.

Congrats on obtaining the new Rem and getting out shooting it. Curiosity has me wondering, what guided you to starting off with 130 by Volume of BH209?

52Bore said:
Congrats on obtaining the new Rem and getting out shooting it. Curiosity has me wondering, what guided you to starting off with 130 by Volume of BH209?

Just reading some reports and reviews online, it seemed like guys were getting decent groups with anywhere from 120-160 grains.. I decided to start with 130, which I liked, then went to 140 but the recoil was significantly more, so I backed it back down to 130.

ENCORE50A said:
Were you able to remove the breech plug to clean it?

Very easily. Although I probably didnt need to. The barrel side of it was obviously dirty but that wouldve cleaned up with the barrel, but the action side of it was pretty much clean.

The only thing I wish I had was something small enough to stick down through the flash channel to clean that a little, but its not bad..I just like stuff CLEAN when I clean it.

cornfedkiller said:
ENCORE50A said:
Were you able to remove the breech plug to clean it?

Very easily. Although I probably didnt need to. The barrel side of it was obviously dirty but that wouldve cleaned up with the barrel, but the action side of it was pretty much clean.

The only thing I wish I had was something small enough to stick down through the flash channel to clean that a little, but its not bad..I just like stuff CLEAN when I clean it.

The flame channel gets only non-corrosive primer residue. I know a guy with 10,000 rounds through his UF rifle with no problems and he doesn't remove his BP.

ENCORE50A said:
The flame channel gets only non-corrosive primer residue. I know a guy with 10,000 rounds through his UF rifle with no problems and he doesn't remove his BP.

That makes sense. Good to know..Thanks!

Back