High pressure signs caused from fouled barrel?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funman

Reaction score
Ill try and make a long story short. Bought a savage stevens brand new 4 months ago. After about 40 or 50 rounds i noticed some flattened primers. Some of those rounds were factory some were my reloads.

Ok one day while i was out i blew a primer completely out. It was a factory round. It also collapsed the ejector spring to the point it wouldnt eject. I took the gun home cleaned it and ordered new ejection spring. Problem solved for about 50 more rounds.

The next time i had a blow out it was factory , not loaded hot by no means. no need to go into C.O.L and all that it was all the way it should be. I sent the gun to savage to see what they say. I had gun smith to check the head space , he said was good.

Heres my cleaning methods in a nut shell. On a typical day ill shoot maybe 25 to 40 rounds with no cleaning in between. Ill then take the gun home and run a patch soaked with hoppes. Then i usually run a patch of Butches let sit for maybe 2 minutes. Then if still green patches ill run a bronze brush with butches. I still get alot of copper comming out. Ill go until the patch is slightly solid white.

I noticed one of the last cleanings i was getting some pressure pushing the patch through like it was getting snagged by sharp metal. I would go through alright but was noticable.

How long do you guys let solvent sit in the bore (if its badly fouled) I know you cant leave sweets 7.62 in thier but i wasnt using that. Could thier be a gun flaw that you know of. Like i said the gun smith said the head space was good with the go, no go gauges he had. He did not have a bore scope to look at the barrel. I dont think he is a gunsmith by trade its just the owner of the gun shop and they call him a gunsmith.

Any thoughts would be greatful. If i didnt add enough info ill try and give you a list of what im sure the problem wasnt or maybe what it could be.....

1. the ammo was not sitting in the sun
2. it happened on factory and my reloads
3. the rounds i loaded were not hot , and met the reloading manual specs
4. i do not shoot at a fast rate to heat up the barrel
5. i am guilty of shooting maybe between 20 and 40 rounds without cleaning
6. I just thought of this one, i may have left some residue of eezox in the bore, i forgot to mention that i finish off with that after the copper cleaning. But i run a dry patch through and then let rifle stand up rifle down to the ground. I mentioned this cause the last primer blow out it was burning smoke (thought maybe it was residue gun cleaner.. didnt smell like gun powder at all)
7. I never had accuraccy tall tell sighns , the guns shoots.

It sounds like you didn't break in you barrel properly. On a new gun you should clean after 5 shots for about the first 50 shots and then clean after 10 shots. You didn't say what caliber it is. Some calibers will foul a lot quicker than others. Keep in mind that you are laying down copper in the grooves with each shot to the tune of 28-30tons of pressure. I use Barnes copper cleaner. Their bullets clog the rifling the worst so I believe their solvent gets the barrel cleaner faster. There should be a lot of places you could look to find proper break-in procedures like www.6mmbr.com. I don't know who gave you the idea that a CF rifle doesn't have to be frequently cleaned, but it does. I hope you haven't ruined your new rifle. You can get away with that somewhat with a .22 rimfire but certainly not a CF rifle. You may need to scrub with a stainless brush using Barnes copper solvent to remove all the fouling. You'll go through 10 or 12 brushes if it's loaded up as bad as you've described. Good Luck!

Mountainam said:
It sounds like you didn't break in you barrel properly. On a new gun you should clean after 5 shots for about the first 50 shots and then clean after 10 shots. You didn't say what caliber it is. Some calibers will foul a lot quicker than others. Keep in mind that you are laying down copper in the grooves with each shot to the tune of 28-30tons of pressure. I use Barnes copper cleaner. Their bullets clog the rifling the worst so I believe their solvent gets the barrel cleaner faster. There should be a lot of places you could look to find proper break-in procedures like www.6mmbr.com. I don't know who gave you the idea that a CF rifle doesn't have to be frequently cleaned, but it does. I hope you haven't ruined your new rifle. You can get away with that somewhat with a .22 rimfire but certainly not a CF rifle. You may need to scrub with a stainless brush using Barnes copper solvent to remove all the fouling. You'll go through 10 or 12 brushes if it's loaded up as bad as you've described. Good Luck!

Its a 22-250, and i did not break the barrel in at all. I see why it may be important. I used the gun for priarie dog shooting, so thats why i would go that many rounds between cleaning.

It's not so much break in, it's new barrels are rougher than worn in barrels. So you have to clean them more often.

Back