Help with cleaning BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are absolutely right! No sense in you keeping such an evil product. I have a really good and safe method of disposing of BH so I suggest you send me the powder for free. I will even pay shipping and Hazmat! You shouldnt have such a vile product in your house.

I assume you also clean your centerfire rifles with hot soapy water? Are you boiling your bolt to be sure it gets clean?

I’ve never had a “greasy” by product from BH209 ignition. Maybe you got a little too much grease in your firing pin pocket or on your breech plug threads. Hoppe’s is always ready to come to your rescue.

i would wager you still have not gone to the Western Blackhorn209 website and would rather just complain about BH209. Its the same thing you did last November when you insisted on using water for clean up. This is nothing new. You just choose not to do what is recommended.

Blackhorn 209.....WTH

Let me post the links again for you.
https://blackhorn209.com/specs/breech-plug-cleaning/
https://blackhorn209.com/specs/general-cleaning/
https://blackhorn209.com/specs/primers/
https://blackhorn209.com/specs/ignition-guidelines/
There's a lot of that going around....🙄

I have an easy method that works very well for me and has for several years now! I use it with BH and T7 with all of my ML's. But then again I am not always with the norm!

I do use Blue Windex. BC 2 in1 bore cleaner, and Montana Xtreme Bore Conditioner (a synthetic oil)

Easy-Bore-Cleaning.jpg

Last edited:

sabotloader-

I REALLY like it when you (and/or others) make pictorial diagrams like this! 👍

Clear, concise, and easy for me to grab a screenshot for future reference! 😆

What kind of program or template is used to make these?
What are they called? (Captioned photo? Pictorial essay? Not really a “meme...”)

Thank you!

[B]Jitterbug[/B]

Actually nothing special at all. I just use Microsoft Publisher. One of my past jobs was as a teacher and I found publisher really easy to use to make pictorial explanations of a lot of history items. For these type things here I just use a simple camera and make the transfer

Here are a couple of other examples

Water_Proof_MSM_Spitfire.jpg

[img]

When I first bought my accura, I bought the foaming bore cleaner and the cva jar of solvent for the breach plug and firing pin. I still use these after I switched to bh209/sabots and haven't had an issue.
Soap and water was more for old school black powder I thought

Used this powder for the first time about 5 months ago., and cleaned my 209 primed Accura as usual (boiled the breech plug in dish soap and water, cleaned the bore with presoaked parches). I fired one shot this morning and called it good.
Now, the spent primer had to be driven out of the breechplug with a nipple pick, and the flash hole is totally blocked with some kind of CRAP after boiling it. What the hell do you use to clean this junk out?
Like others have said, use the right stuff to clean your Accura & theres really no issues to complain about. And yet another Hoppe's #9 user here. I've shot the heck out of my Accura V2 with BH 209 & T7, the only thing I've done to my BP in 3 yrs is use the right size torch tip/carb jet cleaner pushed through it a cpl times when I clean it after shooting. Thats it. The primers sticking may be attributed to your head space screw not be adjusted right.

I realize that the CVA Accura has a lot of blowby when a 209 primer breech is used. I can get along with that when using 777. However when Blackhorn 209 is used, the contamination is not the soft gray dust, it is thick black greasy carbon to the point that I even have to remove a clean the firing pin assembly. The stuff even makes the rifle stick when breaking it open.
So what if you use a proper solvent, it/s still a pain in the A__.
As I just touched on in my last comment, if your head space screw ( your firing pin comes through it ) is adjusted properly, the blowby issues STOP. I had it, I did it, I fixed & stopped it really simply. NO more blowback now for over 2 yrs.

That's interesting information. I never knew that.
My Optima pistol has some serious blowback. After cleaning the pistol, I simply replace the firing pin, spring and bushing. I just screw in snug, not really tight. I guess you have to experiment with how far to adjust it in or out ?
I did get some of those little o-rings. Put one in the primer pocket but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

Latest posts

Back