Hello all

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
My name is James. I love to hunt but until recently, I mostly hunted with a bow or modern rifle. I was given a muzzle loader as a gift a few years ago (CVA Wolf) and I've killed a few deer with it but I started getting more into it this past season. I bought some Blackhorn 209 powder but was a little disturbed by the hangfires. I asked around and found I needed a BH 209 Breechplug. My CVA is a 2008 so it has the old style hex head breechplug. I followed a link here to someone who sells the plug I need (I think) but, since I'm new, I can't reply on the thread and get any info or buy one. Why is there a minimum membership time and post count to be able to buy something another member is selling?

Welcome, from North Carolina! I think the prohibition is regarding access to the classifieds, in general, because of previous scammers and bad actors. Sorry it is affecting you. I believe once you have a certain post count (or become a supporting member), you are free to move about the cabin.😎

View attachment 32341

SKU: AC1678A Category: Accessories

Midsouth shooting supply has them.
Is that a plug modified to use blackhorn 209 powder? I think that may be the original type plug that came in my CVA Wolf. I've never had an issue firing pyrodex or 777 pellets but I had two failures to fire (out of 12 shots) and numerous hangfires where I heard the pop of the primer, followed a split second later by the boom of the shot. I was using the Winchester 777 muzzle loading 209 primers (which I recently learned are not really hot enough to reliably ignite BH 209) so that may be the whole issue.

Maybe I should have just stayed with pellets since I never had an issue with them but I really hate the cleanup involved with even the cleaner 777 pellets or white hots. It almost isn't even worth it to me to take it to the range unless I need to make sure the scope is on the weekend before deer season.

Speaking just in terms of the muzzle loader being a gift, if I had read the reports on the mishaps with CVA's of the 1995 and 96 vintage, I would have been too scared to even shoot it. Apparently, they really upped their quality control after being sued, which is really fortunate for me. The 95 and 96 CVAs were little better than pipe bombs. :oops:

Replacement breech plugs are the same reliable designs and quality that come standard with all CVA rifles. This Breech plug is only for Pivot-Action and Break-Actions made in 2009 and before.

SKU: AC1678A Category: Accessories

Latest posts

Back