Has anyone used the Hornady .452 200gr. FTX on game?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nursekathryn

Reaction score
Hello: The Hornady 200gr. FTX caught my interest and I decided to see if I could work up a load in my .50 NULA. Work up a load yes indeed! 43.0 gr vv110/Harvester Black Short Sabot/CCI 209M yielded a 1" 3 shot group, twice. My chrono registered an average at 2400fps + or -. Next I decided to test the bullet for performance with the only tools I had. Soaked 2 old catalogs in H2O and clamped together for about a 10 inch thick "medium". Placed this at 55 yds. and backed the soaked catalogs with 3 - gallon sized milk jugs filled with water. Took the shot. Complete penetration through the soaked catalogs. Pass through on the first milk jug and penetrated into the 2nd where I recovered the bullet. Nice flat "mushroom" which retained 128.3 gr. Not too bad. Thinking about using this load for a Ill. WT hunt this fall. I see Hornady uses this bullet in their loaded ammo for the .460 S & W. By chance has anyone used this bullet on a WT? Either in .460 or a ML? Would really like to hear their experience.

Flex tip bullets

I use them in my 460 S&W Encore, they ruin the whole fron shoulder of a Deer at 120 paces. Haven't tried the 200 in my mL'er but have tried the 250 grain and they did quite well. Pro

I am shooting 36 grains of VV N-110 with a MMP sabot and a CCI primer and turning in 3/4" groups at 100 yards. I did not have my chronograph with me so I'm not sure on the speed, but I would say its probably 2100 fps. Very pleasent to shoot also. I think they would work great for deer. I would like to see how they do at 150 yards.

I was unable to hunt today because of the weather. I hit a few gun shops in the area. I picked up a box of the 200 gr and a box of the 250 gr. If the .45 cals shoot well I plan on buying some .38 cal to try in my .45 SMI. I also have them ordering some of the .44 cal. to try in my Contender and my 77/44. I like the looks of these bullets, and the plastic tip seems to be a lot better than the plastic tip in the SST. When I tried SST I was destroying the tips when trying to load the rifle

When using the "pointed" plastic tipped bullets such as the SST or Shockwave, it is best to use a ramrod tip configured to fit the pointed bullet so as to not damage or flatten the plastic tip when forcing it down the bore. Hornady has a tip to fit the 45 or 50 cal SST bullets:

http://www.hornady.com/store/Ramrod-End ... T-Profile/

Hope this helps.

Dave

Back