Green Mountain Barrels

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rost495

Reaction score
Hi

Still working with my factory TC Renegade 54. Having not fired a shot-- I keep noticing green mountain barrels.

Should I ditch the factory tube and get a GM barrel before I go any further?

I"m about to send the factory tube off to have the barrel coated with an anti fouling/anti corrosive agent. Before I waste money, inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks, Jeff

I do not know about sending the barrel off for all that fancy coating stuff, but absolutely do not consider the factory barrel as inferior. I have four .54 caliber T/C Renegades. They are my favorite of all sidelock rifles. They have to be one of the most under rated rifles out there. They are all great shooters. I just like guns is all. Kind of a bad habit with me.

Load that factory barrel with 90 grains of Pyrodex RS or Goex 2f and a .530 patched roundball. They shoot roundball excellent. They also shoot maxi ball excellent and R.E.A.L. conicals good.

The only reason I started getting different Green Mountain Barrels was boredom. Not really because I needed them. My rifles shot great. I just wanted some thing different. Sorry but that is the truth. I get wild hairs for something different and so I have some .62 calibers, .58 calibers, and I have two stainless steel 1-28 twist .50 calibers that fit the Renegades. I've only played with one of the fast twist barrels but it is a excellent shooter.

Shoot your gun and see how it works before you think about a barrel change.
Also, on a roundball shootin' gun, it sometimes takes up to 200 shots to really break in the barrel. Be patient with it, and try different loads. If you're using real blackpowder, wipe the bore between shots. Get a muzzle protector for your ramrod.
Go to a traditional shootin' match and you can learn a lot about feeding a sidelock gun.

One other thing you need to consider.. a .54 caliber roundball is an excellent hunting projectile. If you limit your shots to 100 yards and under, that roundball will put a world of hurt on anything you want to shoot. I've sure killed a lot of deer with a .54 caliber Renegade.

I also shoot 300 grain R.E.A.L. conicals over 80 grains of Goex powder in my Renegade. In fact friends that hunt with me had 90% of them have .54 calibers, use the R.E.A.L. conicals and it puts a deer down right now.

Also the maxiballare good shooters out of the Renegades.. They areally are a great rifle and a excellent barrel on them.

Hey, what a dummy here. I'm a competitive shooter and never thought to go to a BP match and learn...... Can't see the forest some days!!

Sticking with current barrel. Will shoot it after its coated.

Jeff

Hey, BTW you guys keep touting big round balls. I've been screwed so bad by them in 45, I just refuse to use them unless I'd be after a deer with the 54.

As it is, I'm after elk so I'm sticking with a bigger slug.

I have both weights of REAL from a friend. Will give em a go as soon as I get the barrel back.

Thanks again, Jeff

There was a post I read on a different forum about a fellow in Canada. He was hunting Moose with a T/C Renegade in .54 caliber. His load was 90 grains of Pyrodex RS and a patched roundball. He shot a moose with the open sights, the ball penetrated the heart and the moose walked a few yards and dropped dead. The amazing part is the moose was 160 yards away when he took the shot. I have no reason to doubt the posters story as he was relating what he had observed. He really had little reason to stretch the truth.

My own case centered around me hunting out of a deer blind one late November morning. I was watching two trails that connected in the brush in front of me. Where they connected I was told was 70 yards. I suspected it was closer, but the person's blind that I was using claimed he shot the distances with a range finder.

Even though it was modern gun season I had my .54 caliber Renegade loaded with 80 or 90 grains (I forget the load now) and a patched roundball. I could shoot a buck or doe and had lots of tags to fill. Also so far, I was skunked for the season.

The person's who's blind I was hunting told me I would see deer all day so be selective. I had been in the blind about five minutes when I saw a deer walking down the trail towards me. It had a nice size body, but something looked strange about it. I took my binoculars out and checked the deer and discovered it was a forked buck.

I took my eyes off the deer to put the binoculars away. I then got the renegade up, cocked it quiet, and hit the set trigger. I got a good rest, took a bead on the deer's shoulder and a little behind, pulled the trigger and there were eight legs in the air suddenly.

The roundball went through the first deer and hit a second deer behind it that I never saw walk up. The ball dropped the first deer in its tracks, and had enough power to blow the spine out of the second one, a small doe. Two deer, one shot total about 80 yards distance.

Round balls are deadly...

I wouldnt discount TC factory bbls. The only reason I replaced my TC 1-66 flinter bbl with a GM was that I wanted to go to a faster 1-28 for throwing some saboted bullets. My factory 1-66 is a prb tack driver

Back