Got some range time with the MK85 today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had today off so spent 4 Hours at the range with my newly acquired MK 85 and my 32 Seneca. Worked with powder charges and bullet / sabot combos and got really great accuracy with 75 grains by weight T7 with a Hornady 240 Grain XTP bullet in a Green Harvester Crush Rib Sabot and I used the 209 primer instead of the #11 percussion cap setup. This combo loaded without having to use a ton of force to seat the bullet and felt the same on the 8th round as it did the first. I did not get a crud ring in the barrel which some had advised I might with the hotter 209 ignition. Going to work with it and get real comfortable before deer season rolls around. Has anyone got much experience with this bullet on White Tail. I know that accuracy is really important but want a bullet that expands and leaves a good blood trail also. This gun is going to be my open sight gun for use in stands where the longest shot possible is under 100 yards.

I shot that same bullet from my Optima V2 pistol. Out to 50 yards, it shot a beautiful group, nearly a single ragged hole.
I had a chance at a buck with the pistol last year. My shot struck the upper shoulder, my own fault. The bullet must have shattered on impact. I never found any blood or hair. I looked for hours.
I'm not a fan of that bullet anymore. I'm sure some people are as I've read many positive reviews.

I appreciate the response I am looking for an accurate and dependable bullet and sabot combo for this gun. This combo is nice to load, very accurate and fun to shoot.

I've had great luck with Speer 260gr JHPs, and Speer 240gr Deep Curls in my MK's both in accuracy and terminal performance. 99% of my shots have been under 100yds with those rifles. I have a few MK's, seems like 100gr pyrodex has been my go to load. I do use #11's.

I shot that same bullet from my Optima V2 pistol. Out to 50 yards, it shot a beautiful group, nearly a single ragged hole.
I had a chance at a buck with the pistol last year. My shot struck the upper shoulder, my own fault. The bullet must have shattered on impact. I never found any blood or hair. I looked for hours.
I'm not a fan of that bullet anymore. I'm sure some people are as I've read many positive reviews.
I hate to admit it, but I have also lost a nice buck with a heavy lead conical that hit him high in the back. Entirely my fault, still upsets me!!
I use the 300gr. XTP in my optima V2 pistol, great groups. No shot at a deer yet though. Try a heavier bullet you should make meat then!

I hate to admit it, but I have also lost a nice buck with a heavy lead conical that hit him high in the back. Entirely my fault, still upsets me!!
I use the 300gr. XTP in my optima V2 pistol, great groups. No shot at a deer yet though. Try a heavier bullet you should make meat then!
I did get some different bullets from a member here. I think they're 300 grain, all lead hollow points. They shoot very good in the pistol.

I have killed a lot of deer with that very bullet! Good blood trails when required. I still shoot hornady 240grn XTP's for deer to this day!

Have killed a bunch of deer with that bullet, turns lungs to mush.
I used to shoot em in the middle of the shoulder until I took one to the butcher and I got a note back with my meat, both shoulders destroyed! I like venison burger, so now I shoot em behind the shoulder! 😁

Back