Got another convert to BH 209!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koger

Reaction score
Had a friend using a TC Triumph, Bone collector edition get together today, to see what all the fuss was about. We shot his gun, which has a very light, fluted barrel, with Pryodex pellets and Triple Seven loose powder, and several different quality bullet/Sabot combos, best he could do, was2" group, which he thought was fine. I had just mounted a Nikon InlineXR300 scope, with BDC reticle for ML's, as we have discussed on here before. I cleaned the barrel good, loaded with 100grs of BH 209, Harvester Crush Rib Sabot, and their PTcopper jacketed 300gr, .451 bullet. It was shooting way to the right, 4 shots later, zeroed at 100yds, I stuck a stick on dot, the size of a dime up for a target, see small, shoot small, as I was taught. The first 2 shots put ears on the doton each side, last one hit the bottom edge, 3 shot group was .740, center to center, all 3 about 1/3 into the dot! I then picked out 2 bullet holes, by them selves from shooting earlier and took one shot at each one of them. First one the shot was half in the other hole, figure 8, and the second one I just cut the top edge of it, he called it way good to go, and was a happy camper. This rifle is quiet a bit lighter than my Omega's, and it kicked hard, even with a good pad, off sandbags, and barrel and forearm bounced off sand bag pretty bad. I had shot Triumph's before, but never one this light, don't believe I would want that model, could cause a guy to flinch in short order, but a good shooter anyway. My buddies father in law was with him, he has about decided he needs to get him a similar set up. Just though I would share!

Hey Skoger, I just want you to know that your "sharing" is making me feel real bad.  Your shooting way better than me.   :D

Smoking Joe, I shot competition on a local, state and national level for over 10 years, averaged shooting about 3500-4000 rounds a year in competition and practice, shooting traditional ML rifles alone. I have been gunsmithing for over 30 years, and shoot about another 4000 rounds a year, zeroing rifles, ML's, handguns etc. Do that 25-30 years, you should get good at it. From now till our local deer rifle season, 11-10-17 or so, I make 3-4 trips a week to the range, or on my home range, often zeroing anywhere from 5-15 rifles at a time, I have a system and targets set up that allows me to do this fairly efficiently and quickly. I work at my real job 2:30-11pm, as a Supervisor at Dept. Of Juvenile Justice facility, for the last 18 years, gives me lots of trigger time. The first 17 I worked as a youthworker/Counselor with these kids, 13-19 years old, who were all drug addicts, probably the reason I am bald now! LOL! I have actually had range day, where folks meet me at the range, and I help them zero their rifles for free, I do this once a year for adults, once for kids. A lot of them will pay me anyway, but never accepted a dime helping kids, as I coached 4H shooting sports for 6 years. I was lucky enough to have a neighbor growing up, retired from the Marines, he pulled 2 tours in Vietnam as a sniper, retired as Armorer, when I was growing up, came home and worked 2 hours getting my farm chores done, and dad would let me go visit him, and over the  years he taught me how to thread a barrel, chamber one, glass bed rifles, lap the lugs, and tune 1911's, and revolvers for good triggers and accuracy, along with hot bluing, and Parkerizing.
Another neighbor was a old blacksmith, he taught me how forge a blade, temper steel, make springs etc.. I was fortunate enough to have 2 lifetimes of experience, taught me by 2 fine men, who tolerated a kid who loved guns, and asked never ending questions. As I grew older, I realized how blessed I had been, and do what I can, often on a day to day basis to pay this forward.  

Not bragging, just a little background info on myself, and shooting history. Hope I don't sound like windbag, nothing I hate more. On most ML forums, and in real life, ML shooters and trad archery shooters are some of the greatest folks I have ever met, most often willing to help anyone they can!

Well I for one am super happy you joined the forum.  There are numerous subject matter experts like yourself here that know what they are talking. I benefit from of their shared advice immensely.  I have both in-lines and traditional shooters.  I love them both.  Slight favor of the flintlocks, just personal choice.

Thank you for sharing!!

i and s.koger hunted together last year and i can tell you i saw first hand sams ability with his guns. first deer was 180 yards, second was 190 yards the the third was 100 yards. sam is a perfect shot and his guns are fine tuned.

you can trust koger, he is the real deal. also something you all should know about koger. he can skin a deer out and cut up a deer faster than anyone ive ever seen. he is lightning speed on pheasant, he could do 100 in a hour or more. when he sets a gun up, it shoots where you point it way out their.

Latest posts

Back