Frontier's Shoot Out

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used this product before with good results but I was about to put it to a real test. I got a T/C Impact online about a month ago on an online auction. The exterior looked really nice but when I received it and removed the breech plug you couldn't even see the rifling because of the rust!.
It was so bad that I couldn't even get a .50 cal brush down the bore so I started with a .45 cal. I scrubbed and scrubbed until I was finally able to swab the bore with solvent and see the rifling and the pitting all through the bore. I thought for sure it was scrap so I had nothing to lose. I swabbed the borer with an alcohol patch then got the Shoot Out and started lapping the bore. Maybe 300 swipes and followed with a bunch of clean dry patches.
Yesterday I took the Shoot Out and applied it to 20 pillow tick patches and grabbed some .490 round balls and went to the pit and started shooting them off using 35 gr of FFFg. I had to swab the bore every 4th shot to remove the fouling. When I got home and started cleaning the rifle it took about 60-75 patches to get it finally clean.
Looking down the bore revealed only very minor pitting remaining and good rifling. I have some moly lube on the way which I'm going to apply to the bore in hopes that it coats it making it easier to clean.
Having thought I had a piece of scrap on my hands turns out that it just may be a pretty good shooter. I was shooting the PRB offhand at a dot on a box at 25 yards and they were really grouping well. The last few I rested the rifle on the side of my pickup and was surprised how tight this 1:28 was shooting them.
Next time out I'll be load testing for it.
I recommend Shoot Out for anyone with rough bores or even new barrels to remove manufacturing burrs.

wow that barrel sounds like it was a mess! Keep shooting those patched round balls and it will really gets the rest of that pitting cleaned up nicely. Glad the product has shown you what it can do!

This reminds me i need to get my .45 Cal CVA Mountain Rifle out and Shoot it! I need to set my Bullet Guns aside for Awhile

I also have a Bottle of Jonathan’s “Shoot Out” I am Looking Forward to using. I kinda cheated on this CVA MR, When i got this thing (Brand new in the Box, NOS Rifle, it had been sitting around for a LOOONG Time) I ran some patches down it and they were pretty nasty, about as nasty as I’ve ever seen, But the Bore felt Good n Smooth, I did a Very THOROUGH cleaning, Then i went to Town on the Bore with “Montana Extreme Bore Polishing Compound” (JB Bore paste equivalent, maybe better?) I didn’t know when i would get a Chance to Shoot the “Shoot Out” Product, and this Bore was bothering me as nasty as it was, i wanted it Clean, Polished, and Well Lubed/oiled. The “Shoot Out” should stil be Beneficial right? To get in the Grooves, anything i might not have Gotten real good.

Good report! Good job!
I must say you have more patience & determination than I lol.

Back