Fridays Range Trip

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minst7877

Reaction score
I finally got all my supplies in and made it to the range. My goal was to work up two loads for a Knight Disc Extreme that belongs to a friend of mine. One load need to be 150 yard capable for him and a softer shooting load that is 75 yard capable that his wife can shoot from her blind.

Weather was partly sunny and 63 with light winds a good day to be at the range.
50cal SS Knight Disc Extreme.
All loads used the FPJ & CCI 209m primers.
Chronograph set at 12 feet.

First load was a reduced load fired at 50 yards. Very low recoil :D :D
60gr. volume BH209
200gr TCSW
Blue 50/40 Sabot

#1 1445 fps
#2 1392 fps
#3 1377 fps
#4 1376 fps

Now the target.

5-15-09006.jpg

Shot #1 went low from the clean barrel with the next three in a nice group.

Adjusted the scope and went out to 100 yds and this is what I got there. This will definitely work for her load.

5-15-09003.jpg

Next up was a load for my buddy and I want to try and get the .452 260gr Speer Uni-core bullets to work.

100 yards with 110gr volume BH 209 Speer 260 in MMP Short Black gave readings of
#1 1937 fps
#2 1975 fps
#3 1940 fps
Which resulted in this target. Not to bad but wish it was better.

5-15-09002.jpg

Next load I tried was 120gr volume BH 209
#1 1980 fps
#2 1970 fps
#3 2010 fps
#4 no reading
This is what it gave me I'm not happy with this even though it would be four dead deer at 100 yds it will not make it at 150. Definitely need to do more work with this bullet.

5-15-09001.jpg

DC

Try backing the charge down to 100 and 90 grains. Either one should give you over 1700 fps and, if the accuracy is there, is plenty for 150 yards.

Thank you for the excellent write up and data.... the pictures are very good illustrations of your results. It does make your "physics brain " wonder how just a few more feet per second in velocity can affect accuracy that much!

Again, great job! Thanks.

Very nice shooting there with that light load. And those stronger loads are not really that bad. That BlackHorn sure does produce some excellent velocity even with small charges. I never would have thought that light load would have pushed the bullet that hard. That would be a definate deer killer.

The fps reading that I got on that load really suprised me. I was hoping for 1200 so that I would be sure the bullet would work well. I was estatic when I saw almost 1400. :D :D

I have some other sabots to try with the 260's to see if I can get it to tighten up and will try some different powder charges as well.

DC

Did it load easy, that sabot may be a bit thin. MMP sabots often work good in a Knight mine will shoot that bullet well with a MMP 12. Lee

Lee I have some MMP 12's and 24's along with some Harvestor short black & the Harvestor black crush rib. I'm hoping that i can get one of them to work with this bullet. Loading pressure was tight but not the strain to get it down tight. I felt like it loaded very similar to the shock wave in the Blue sabot. What powder and charge are you using in your gun?

DC

Try a heavier bullet (300 gr), a keep the powder charge around 90 gr. That's what my Knight disc groups the best with.

My .02

Hakx

hakx said:
Try a heavier bullet (300 gr), a keep the powder charge around 90 gr. That's what my Knight disc groups the best with.

My .02

Hakx

Problem here is these 260's were what were available so that's what needs to be shot. They may not be my first choice or the best choice but at present they are the only choice.

That sux.

Go with the best grouping, and keep your ranges moderate. Have fun.

hakx

Latest posts

Back