Flintlocks are one of the best methods to improve shooting skills.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I learned to shoot at an early age and the Marine Corps, taught me the "proper" way to shoot, but I have found the best method to teach yourself to shoot well, is to use a Flintlock. If anyone asks me about improving their shooting skills, I explain the benefits of a flintlock. It forces a shooter to keep a good sight picture and hold through the shot. A shooter cannot jerk or flinch if they want to consistently hit a target.

My first muzzleloader was a .54 T/C Renegade, Flintlock. I bought the flint for its uniqueness, not for any benefit it could give me. I found it improved my marksmanship without even trying.

Earlier this year, I put together a flintlock rifle from parts.
The trigger pull on my gun is pretty heavy so I really have to stay on target during the shot sequence.
The flash bang definitely makes you concentrate on what you're doing, Lol

I learned to shoot at an early age and the Marine Corps, taught me the "proper" way to shoot, but I have found the best method to teach yourself to shoot well, is to use a Flintlock. If anyone asks me about improving their shooting skills, I explain the benefits of a flintlock. It forces a shooter to keep a good sight picture and hold through the shot. A shooter cannot jerk or flinch if they want to consistently hit a target.

My first muzzleloader was a .54 T/C Renegade, Flintlock. I bought the flint for its uniqueness, not for any benefit it could give me. I found it improved my marksmanship without even trying.
Same mindset applies to shooting a bow..."follow-through" with the shot..

All excellent responses guys. But a lot of newbies start off terrified of the pan flash. This would mean they are not keeping their focus on the front sight. If they learn to keep the front sight in focus then they have a good start. I'm careful with "follow through" and concentrate on it. I got my first flintlock more than 50 years ago and never had a problem from day one. I was either dumb or maybe just lucky.

I bought 2 rock sparkers last summer, one was a built model the 2nd was a Pedersoli Scout kit. I a southpaw and a RH flintlock is what i have. Other than the stock being a bit diff i find i shoot it well with my right eye closed to the sparks

Well said and I fully agree, I have been shooting flinters for 50 years. I still build them. When I was teaching my oldest granddaughter to shoot, I started her out with a .32 flinter I built for her. She was 11 at the time, she is now 18 and a crack shot with anything you give her. Funny thing, is prefers the Flintlock, says it a more personal relationship.

Back