First time shooting ne "Penn rifle, 50 cal flintlock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ART

Reaction score
First time shooting ne "Penn rifle, 50 cal flintlock

After receiving my Frontier lubes I ventured out  to shoot the Pedersoli 50 cal rifle, started at 20 yards to feel delay from pan and try to get the sight picture on the iron sights-2 hits were high 3" and 3" right--hunting buddy off to the left--used the "shootout lube as directed--2f Goex in the barrel and 4f in the pan, started with 70 grns and went to 50 yards and 60 grns in the barrel--we were all over the place as I was unable to settle on the correct back and front sight picture. I (we) shot approx. 35-40 shots using shootout and pillow ticking patches, ran into among other things difficulty in starting the ball thru the 1st 4-5", young friend rammed them in, my mission became to get comfortable with the delay and hold on what I think is the proper aim points on the sights, moved the back sight up a notch and down a notch--no good results--had some cases where fire did not occur, recocked and 2nd try usually did the trick. I started out with a German flint and then changed to French amber, could hold flint in and it popped out once, used lead and changed to a piece of leather, screw that hold flint down kept getting loose ( kept tightening ). We did swab the barrel a number of times when it was hard to load which helped for a while. Anyway to wrap up the day my friend and I moved back to 100 yards and each shot once, he used his scoped in line Thompson 50 cal w/pyrodex pellets (100 grn ) and I the same load (60grns), used my shooting stick (Primos adjustable bipod as did he--his shot was 3" hi and 2" left, mine 4" hi and 2" left.I did not take picture's of targets but picked up a few patches which follow-----now---I am going back next week to shoot and plan on using Goex 3f in barrel and pan and Hornady .490 round balls---I went int my bullet bag and measured the home cast 50 cal balls a friend gave me and discovered that 90% of the ball were .491 plus all the way up to .495, sprue mark and line around center which explains the difficulty in starting the load and perhaps some inconsistency ????  I know sounds like I should shoot paintball but I will prevail and learn  :study: --wish me luck, will # shots and take picture on next outing--regard Art

fired_50_cal_patches.jpg

Re: First time shooting ne "Penn rifle, 50 cal flintlock

Art it sounds like you guys had fun experimenting!  A couple things come to mind,  you probably all ready know or did these things:
1) On hand cast balls the sprue is always up or towards the muzzle
2) Did you use a short starter to seat the ball?
3) Did you run a pick through the vent after a shot or two to make sure it wasn't plugged?
4) I like to have the flint positioned about 1/16" from the frizzen at half cock.

Below is what forum member RowdyJoe replied back to me about shooting a muzzleloader and I would consider him an authority on the subject:

"BTW ....when aiming with open sights, move your aiming point to a 6 o'clock hold instead of center (especially for a "bullseye" target) and watch your groups shrink.  If the group is low, adjust your sights to hit center but, keep your aim at 6.  Remember to focus on the front sight to make sure it doesn't move before the bullet leaves the barrel. Obviously, the other fundamental apply too. 
icon_smile.gif
"

Thanks Art for the report!

Hey Smokin' Joe, thanks for the helpful suggestions--did use the pick frequently, I suspect my usage of the pan powder feeder was inconsistent at best, we did use a short starter--note on sprue mark, we inserted down!!--will check the flint distance 'morrow--how do you hold your flint in position?, leather strip or lead? thanks again.--Art

I use leather but I've heard lead is suppose to be as good or better, so I don't know!!  I don't think it makes a difference if the sprue is down or up as long as it isn't sideways. The hammer screw coming loose might be a concern.
The good thing when your hunting is that you're only taking "one" shot....hopefully.   :D

Leather works better for me.

Good going guys. I like using leather but,   you have to sink your teeth  so to speak, when you insert a new flint and leather. If you notice there are teeth in the hammer and jaw. Leather works great for me but,   it is also kinda like a heavy sponge. When first mounting  and almost every shot , if you notice you can creep the hammer screw a smidge tighter. You have to have the feel between tight and stripped.Use two fingers only, and your wrist action. You want tight but use your feel so you don't ruin the screw and hammer.You have to approach a rock solid grip. Also learn how to knapp your flint ,   in place. That keeps things on the cutting edge, without loosing all your tightening. All you have to do is train your mind  for a sight picture, your subconcious  can do the rest.Also I highly  recommend that you own a discharger, worth thier weight in gold . I don't care how good you think you are . there will come a time , I think I    invented humble pie. It didn't hurt that bad either. I'm 74 years old. I've had mine for over forty years, ever since Thompson made it. Above all have fun .

thanks all-did some trimming on flint, distance is a "space maybe 16th but does not touch frizzen, used leather--came in and ordered RMC bid discharger--in regards to holding 2 6 oclock when target shooting (bulls eye centered), cannot get concept --if I end up aiming @ 6 and adjusting until I hit center do I then adjust until I can aim @the center??--this village idiot can be trained, may be getting somewhat addled--I have not figured out yet how to adjust for left right windage using front sight, back sight has hi-low adjustment. I think somehow I will have to tap left or right on the base of the front sight? :slaps:

fired_50_cal_patches.jpg

Art , the idea of a six oclock hold is so you see more of your target. It tends to satisfiy your mind better.You'll find out also that  it  will enable you to shoot longer targets just by learning how much to hold over or under.This is almost a foolproof way to hunt also.Art I almost forgot here, to adjust right or left , if there are no screw adjust on the rear sight , you have to what they call "drift". You take a flat end punch and tap your sight over.You can move either sight ,sometimes you might want some movement on each so as to not look way off and goofy. Just stop and visualize what your doing before you do it. It usually don't take a whole of movement.Even to start with take a marker and make a mark to side where you think you have to go, use that mark to prove yourself. In other words ,use the mark as your right or left aiming point before you drift the sight.

Sight picture

I don't have the rear sight shown in this photo; rather I have the standard Hawken rear sight with a V notch at the bottom of the cut out! At 200 yards for instance my view through the rear sight is such that I align the wide part of the V or the top of the V with the front sight dovetail and I use a 6 o/clock hold! It works very well and gives consistent results. All of this WORKS in conjunction with YOU paying close attention to how much care you give to working down the front sight with a flat bastard file!

27482082143_920a7cef6d.jpg
Using_the_Peephorn by Sharps Man, on Flickr

:Salute:

thank you csitas and Sharpsman will take all these very good suggestions and act accordingly--Art

posted on optics what I thought I should use as sight picture.

Just keep working with the suggestions Art, you'll get the results your looking for. Good Luck

Latest posts

Back