First time shooting a muzzleloader...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Bushfire, that is an excellent example of why you got to be always paying attention to every detail when loading a smoke pole...

I use 2 witness marks, (blue tape), on my ramrod, one for empty and one for loaded. I also open action and sight through BP at the sky and if I don't see light through the primer pocket find out why before loading. Try and do the exact same loading procedure each time, 1. check for light, 2. load powder, 3. load bullet, 4. check loaded witness mark, 5. remove and store ramrod, 6. rifle is then ready for the primer.

Note the CVA Accura MR & V2 have different length barrels and different length ramrods and don't mix the ramrods up if shooting both rifles at the same time. This happened with my son & I when we were sighting in our BP rifles.

The witness marks are also good for consistency too, having the same amount of compression on the powder can't hurt for consistent shooting.

One thing I've noticed is that after a couple shots on the range, whether I'm using pyrodex or white hot pellets, the bullet seems to hang up on the approximately last inch before seating. Obviously I seat the bullet with a little extra umph, but is this typical? In fact, I broke the (crappy?) Allen kit rod trying to seat it that last inch. It broke right at the swivel near the handle. I clean with one wet and one dry patch after each shot. I'd already ordered a one piece range rod, and I'm using the rifle's ramrod in the meantime. The rifle was thoroughly cleaned last night, and the bore looked shiny and clean. Is it plastic from the sabot?

Don't know if anyone else is doing this but my witness mark is my palm saver. I have a spinjag loading jag on a gi ramrod ordered to length. I drilled the palm saver hole in my short starter to the exact depth that it sits down flush to the end of my barrel when my load is fully seated. I just push till I can't no more and I'm good.

One thing I've noticed is that after a couple shots on the range, whether I'm using pyrodex or white hot pellets, the bullet seems to hang up on the approximately last inch before seating. Obviously I seat the bullet with a little extra umph, but is this typical? In fact, I broke the (crappy?) Allen kit rod trying to seat it that last inch. It broke right at the swivel near the handle. I clean with one wet and one dry patch after each shot. I'd already ordered a one piece range rod, and I'm using the rifle's ramrod in the meantime. The rifle was thoroughly cleaned last night, and the bore looked shiny and clean. Is it plastic from the sabot?
Sounds like the crud ring. When cleaning between shots swab the very bottom few inches well and it should eliminate that. Some powder/primer combos will make a more pronounced crud ring, and it will get worse with each shot.

Don't know if anyone else is doing this but my witness mark is my palm saver. I have a spinjag loading jag on a gi ramrod ordered to length. I drilled the palm saver hole in my short starter to the exact depth that it sits down flush to the end of my barrel when my load is fully seated. I just push till I can't no more and I'm good.
That will work! Only issue is that setup is (likely) only good for that one rifle and load. But yes, you won't mess up that way!

My range rod has a stop collar on it. The first bullet i seat the collar is not set. After that i lock the collar just slightly above the crown protector. On the next load it will compress down a tiny bit on the bore guide/protector.

Lehigh Ultimate Range rod when at the range. Kinda hard to mess up using it.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019433024?pid=536424

Back