First Time Muzzleloading and First Deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freakdaddy

Reaction score
Having no luck during the regular Missouri firearms season and what was destined to be my worst deer season since I was 18, I borrowed a CVA Optima from a friend of mine who wasn't going to be hunting this season. I figured if I was going down, I was going down swinging. I checked it's zero and made the needed adjustments after I got off work on the 26th then headed to my friends property for an afternoon hunt. Low and behold, I shot a big doe that evening at close to 120 yards! I hit her in the shoulder and she dropped on the spot. Needless to say, I was rather excited at not only finally tagging a deer and not getting skunked for the season but to actually take one with a muzzleloader. Of course, jalapeno and cheese summer sausage in the freezer is a big bonus too!

The next day, I was in the same stand when a little after 4 p.m., a bachelor group of bucks came into the field. They consisted of a spike, a forkhorn, a 9 point and an 8 point. The 9 and 8 were both nice bucks and I luckily had enough time to size them up with finally deciding on the 8 point as he had longer tines and I liked his high rack better. The 9 came across the field first and kept getting closer and closer to my stand while the 8 kept meandering around. Finally after what seemed an eternity, the 8 started across the field following the 9 as by now, the 9 was getting close to my stand and I was sure I was going to get busted and then not have anything. When the 8 was about 80 yards away and facing me, he paused to look back at the other two smaller bucks following him. I usually like waiting for a broadside shot but the 9 was within 15 yards of my stand so I knew it was either now or never. I took aim to the inside of the shoulder by the brisket and cut loose on him. When the smoke somewhat cleared, tails were up everywhere and heading toward the timber but I saw the 8 running on three legs and struggling so I knew I made a solid hit. He made it about 30 yards into the timber and folded up and although I can't be for certain, I'm pretty sure the 9 had smoke burns LOL!

Needless to say, I was ecstatic as what initially was going to be my worst season in 30 years ended up being an extremely memorable one with too many "first experiences" to count. So now I'm hooked on muzzleloading and already told the Mrs. I'll be getting my own smoke pole this year and maybe even an extra one for the kids so they could have one should they be able to make it back for a visit around Christmas time. I'm happy to have found this forum as there seems to be some great info to absorb to help me make the right choices in my new endeavor. Here's the pics of the two I harvested.

16119416415_7e97c51c8f_b.jpg

15937023888_dd8a7a4f4d_b.jpg

It figures my first post would go into the wrong section and should have been in the "Success Stories" section...newbs! I'm sure the moderators are shaking their heads thinking "This guy is going to create a LOT of extra work for us!" :lol:

Way to go. Good shooting and nice deer. Congratulations. Nothing like that kind of success to really hook you on muzzleloading.

Thanks for the compliments! I was using the Powerbelt 295 gr. bullets with 150 gr. Hodgdon Pyrodex pellets and a Winchester 209 primer. This is what my friend uses and what he had to give me so I wasn't going to deviate since I didn't have time to experiment with anything else. I was getting around a 2"-2.5" group at 100 yards so I knew that would be good enough to at least get me through the season and luckily, it seemed to have worked out nicely for me.

Well those are fine deer. And a great way to start a muzzle loading life. The Optima is a great rifle, as you well know. Welcome to the sport.

Welcome to the Forum, Congrads on a great First ML season. :applause: Welcome to a very addicting sport too. :wink:

:applause: :applause: :applause:

CONGRATS there partner :!: You have some nice deer there and the meat is going to be great :!: Fire up the BBQ for those back straps. Congrats once again and welcome to the forum :!: :!: :!:

Ray........... :yeah:

What a great way to get initiated into the "addiction"! Congrats on two fine deer!

cant beat that :applause: congrats and good story to go along with the pic's

Latest posts

Back