First ML deer on Halloween!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tannhauser

Reaction score
Halloqeen was the opening day of muzzleloading season in Virginia. Here's my story.

This was the first year I participated with a ML. In past years I would hunt with archery equipment during the ML season (legal here in Va), but I wanted to try this ML thing out.

The rifle I was carrying was a Thompson Center White Mountain carbine. It had belonged to a good friend, who died unexpectedly. I cAmr by the rifle alone, since he had not hunted or shot it in many years.

Having zero experience with muzzleloader a I spent significant time reading threads here (the sticky on "What you need to shot your rifle" was invaluable). I found this little carbine really liked the Thompson Center cheap shot 240 gr lead HP sabots over 80 gr of 777. With this load I was able to shoot golfball sized groups at 25 yards and baseball sized groups at 50 yards. My eyes + iron sights meant I was limiting myself to about 50 yard shots, so I felt the performance of myself, the rifle and the load were good to go for this range.

I was originally planning to shoot the Cheap Shots for practice and coarse sight regulation, then switch to a premium sabot for final tuning of the load and sights, then hunt with the premium sabot. However, this little carbine really liked the cheap shots, and I decided at 50 yards a 240 gr lead HP projectile would be just fine for Eastern whitetail.

Halloween morning found me sitting along the Potomac River, overlooking a field near a spot where several obvious game trails criss-crossed. About an hour into opening day three young does trotted out into the field to 150 yards, moving towards my position. When the nearest moved inside where I had ranged 50 yards I decided to make the shot.

I placed the White Mountain carbine in the crook of a tree limb, lined up the sights and squeezed the trigger. Through the plume of smoke I saw two deer running for cover and one deer lying on the ground. While forld dressing I found I had hit a little higher than intended, and at the quartering angle took out one lung, but more importantly also the spine. The doe never moved a step after being hit.

E6D88B23-C285-448B-BD58-995E89DB5BA2_zpsy5m4cqfc.jpg

Here is my view taken near the tree where I took my shot:

EC2BB239-1E2F-49F1-8F89-41087E9C4257_zps5pkd1y08.jpg

congratulations on a beautiful harvest. Those little carbines are a favorite of mine in thickets and close quarter shots. And I agree, that 240 Cheep Shot at that distance should have worked fine, as you proved. Now you have to eat all that wonderful venison. What a shame. So when is the next muzzle loader hunt planned?

Congrats on carrying on the tradition with your buddies rifle. That is some fine table fair, good job.

Congrads on your first ML harvest! :yeah: Those young ones make for some great eating too!

Awesome job beautiful location with a even nicer lookin deer wish i had that kinda luck on halloween lol :applause:

I was out for VA opener too. I'm glad it was better for you. I sat sun up to sundown and never saw a thing. Those carbines are nice. I have a 54 cal. that was given to me as a High School graduation gift. After reading your story I think I may get it out during the late muzzleloader season. Thanks.

cayuga said:
congratulations on a beautiful harvest. Those little carbines are a favorite of mine in thickets and close quarter shots. And I agree, that 240 Cheep Shot at that distance should have worked fine, as you proved. Now you have to eat all that wonderful venison. What a shame. So when is the next muzzle loader hunt planned?

I plan to ML hunt as much as possible the next two weeks. I really enjoyed this hunt. Not only my first deer with a ML, but also my first deer with iron sights.

The White Mountain carbine is going to be a great rifle for close in work. The field I was sitting over is fairly large, about 150 to 200 yards wide and maybe three times as long as wide. I've decided I'm going to buy an inline and mount a scope so I can have a 150 yard muzzle loader in my arsenal. But there are some spots on this property where I hunt around ridge lines and creek beds where the sightline doesn't even extend 50 yards. I'm not sure if it's factory or aftermarket, but the sights on my White Mountain are similar to express rifle sights instead of post and notch sights. The front sight has a large white bead and the rear sight is a V-notch. These sights are not the most precise, but they are very fast to get on target. Combined with the compact length of the White Mountain, this seems like a rifle designed for quick shots up close.

rugerbh103 said:
I was out for VA opener too. I'm glad it was better for you. I sat sun up to sundown and never saw a thing. Those carbines are nice. I have a 54 cal. that was given to me as a High School graduation gift. After reading your story I think I may get it out during the late muzzleloader season. Thanks.

I was surprised to have such luck so quickly into the hunt. I've been hunting archery since the start of early archery season, and I have seen very few deer and none presented a shot. I was fully expecting to have a nice day sitting down by the river, but my luck turned for the better. Good luck to you, and maybe if you take out your 54 it will bring you luck!

Congrats! Only thing I saw yesterday was a spike chasing a couple does 300 yards across the field. I'll be back after them in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! :yeah:

I was out on opening morning in VA too. Saw a handful of does, but nothing I wanted to shoot. Very little shooting where I was, heard a few shots off in the distance is all.

Tannhauser, that lil gal reminds me of the button buck I shot last year with my 30-06. I almost felt sad at killin such a lil fella before he could live to get big and beautiful. I may or may not have a pic of him on my other computer, but when I took photos of him, I posed him in the snow like he was enjoying his last run and leaping jump.

Hope you get a chance to see and get some more chances with your new muzzle loader.

Back