First buck

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funman

Reaction score
IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

First time deer hunting last year tried hard didnt even see one, i got a pig instead. This year iv tried hard and missed some opportunities. I seem to always be a day late or dollar short. Got a late start yesterday morning and tried to think where i wanted to put the stand (this is public land by the way) every where i wanted to put the stand their was a truck parked . Finally i just drove the dirt road and picked a spot for no particular reason. I finally get my climber in the woods and get set up. Something kept telling me to use the buck call and be ready (i used to not have much faith in the calls) well it is rut time for us in flordia so after about three short calls this small buck came running in. I thought i was gonna have a heart attack in the stand. I got buck fever and aimed a little low on the shoulder. I hit him with a 300gr hornady .44 cal xtp. The bullet hit , and he took off without the use of his left front leg. He ran right past me and went about thirty yards then for some reason circled back around to the creek bottom. He went out of sight and i got worried, because im not the best tracker and i get lost in woods really easy. I waited like your suppose to about thirty minutes is all i could stand to wait. I took a short walk and found him about sixty to seventy yards away. Now he is cut up ready for jerky and im giving away some to a good friend. I did not find an exit hole which surprised me , suck a heavy bullet using 90gr bh209. Now i would like to try the fpb hornadys just to see how that holds up on game. Thanks for all the advise lots of you gave about the buck calls and hunting in general. Special shout out to Flhtr for telling me to stay in unit two thx buddy.

Disc extreme 90gr blackhorn 300gr .430 hornady xtp

looks and sounds like a great time. congrats on the freezer filler!

good job on the buck

here in IL we only get 7 day gun season

Congrats good looking spike [better eating than a big 8 pointer]

word of caution ..when u jerk the trigger the barrel moves a bit down and u get a lower shot than anticipated ..next time squeeze the trigger .

Back