Finally! :)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
The last couple days warmth has surely taken down the snow here. There's still maybe 4 to 5" in the woods, but the yard is clear. Nice morning to hang a target :D
Although the lane was a little muddy and snow covered, the Gator made it through with ease and two targets were finely hanging. My intent was two fold, #1, get out and at least shoot 100yds and knock off some winter rust. #2, shoot a reduced load at the shorter range. After busting a primer, I loaded'er up and started out with basically my first real shoot of the season.

First target I started without any scope adjustments, using 2-T7M pellets (120grs V). 1, Get the bore fouled and 2, knock the rust off, 3, identify the necessary scope adjustment when shooting a reduced load. This target was shot with Hornady 300gr SST's.

After playing around with the reduced charge (120grs V), I adjusted the scope back to "my rifle's normal charge" and setting for 100yds. Quite evident that the heavier charge, with the same bullet, shoots a tighter group. NOTE: This target group was shot with the Whitetail Medicine, 300gr bullet.

The PAST recoil padding works by the way....... :yeah:

ENCORE50A said:
The last couple days warmth has surely taken down the snow here. There's still maybe 4 to 5" in the woods, but the yard is clear. Nice morning to hang a target :D
Although the lane was a little muddy and snow covered, the Gator made it through with ease and two targets were finely hanging. My intent was two fold, #1, get out and at least shoot 100yds and knock off some winter rust. #2, shoot a reduced load at the shorter range. After busting a primer, I loaded'er up and started out with basically my first real shoot of the season.

First target I started without any scope adjustments, using 2-T7M pellets (120grs V). 1, Get the bore fouled and 2, knock the rust off, 3, identify the necessary scope adjustment when shooting a reduced load. This target was shot with Hornady 300gr SST's.

After playing around with the reduced charge (120grs V), I adjusted the scope back to "my rifle's normal charge" and setting for 100yds. Quite evident that the heavier charge, with the same bullet, shoots a tighter group. NOTE: This target group was shot with the Whitetail Medicine, 300gr bullet.

NOTE: My normal charge is much heavier than can be safely shot from production muzzleloaders. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SHOOT THE CHARGE INDICATED ON THE TARGET.

The PAST recoil padding works by the way....... :yeah:

FORGOT because I'm old...........

When I went to hang the targets, I noticed a bullet laying on the ground, maybe 6' away from where the targets are hung. ODD is the word for it. Had to be one of the bullets fired last fall.

I know you normally shoot some pretty stiff loads, but just to see you write 120 gr as a "reduced load" kinda makes me shiver, just a little. :shock: Great shooting anyway, glad you could finally knock off the rust. :yeah:

JStanley said:
I know you normally shoot some pretty stiff loads, but just to see you write 120 gr as a "reduced load" kinda makes me shiver, just a little. :shock: :yeah:

Yeah me too!!!

Encore, was that bullet likely shot out of one of your heavy loads? Seems awful odd that it ended up like that.
Strange things happen sometimes. :huh?: :huh?:

WV Hunter said:
JStanley said:
I know you normally shoot some pretty stiff loads, but just to see you write 120 gr as a "reduced load" kinda makes me shiver, just a little. :shock: :yeah:

Yeah me too!!!

Encore, was that bullet likely shot out of one of your heavy loads? Seems awful odd that it ended up like that.
Strange things happen sometimes. :huh?: :huh?:

I know for certain that it WAS shot last fall using a full charge. However, I also shot both the Hornady SST (red tip) and Whitetail Medicine (white tip). With no tip, which bullet was it? Strange things sometimes do happen.

Good shooting George. I'm inspired! Plan doing my own "rust" removal on Saturday. I have to re zero the UFBW with the new scope mounts, plus shoot a couple other rifles.

fishhawk2700 said:
Good shooting George. I'm inspired! Plan doing my own "rust" removal on Saturday. I have to re zero the UFBW with the new scope mounts, plus shoot a couple other rifles.

Will be shooting myself tomorrow. Portable bench will be out to get ready for the match, as that area is dry. Can't get on the club's range, so it'll be 100yds only.
On a side note...... I have some of the Kinetic .452 and 302gr "Bombs" coming tomorrow. I will find out how well they'll group at 100, using the H5045 sabot we currently use. I didn't get many, so I'll only shoot 5 at 100yds and when the club range opens, I'll shoot them at 200. These may end up being really nice bullets, especially with the thinner jacket than the MH. We'll see.........

Back