eractic shots and breech plug woes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskasmoker

Reaction score
Last weekend, i was shooting my encore. I was using 2 T7 pellets. My target was about 30 yards away. (sighting in for my black bear bait station). I would get two good shots in, then the 3rd would go wild. Missing a 3footX4foot piece of wood at that distance. there didnt seem to be a paticular order that this happened in, but seemed to be worse with bore sized lead bullets.

I just learned that pressing down to hard on the pellets in the gun can cause erratic shots, but missing a piece of 3x4 plywood at 30 yards? And I was swabbing with water between shots.

Next, My breech plug seizes up bad. I am using cva breech plug lube. I also just learned to also put that stuff on the internal threads as well. Out in the field I put some on the forward end of the plug past the threads, wich seemed to help some.

Any more tips or thoughts?

In an Encore, you need to "crack" open the breech plug every so often with triple 7 (I do mine's about every 5 shots). Not doing so is asking for a seized plug. Encores just don't do very well with bore size projectiles, either powerbelts or conicals. Alot of the blame has been placed on the QLA, which is often misaligned. I would try saboted bullets and loosen the breech plug every so often and retighten. I've never hunted bear before so I'll refrain from suggesting a bullet and let someone else do that.
Also, you may have inadvertantly cracking or partially crushing the pellets, which will kill accuracy. Once you feel the sabot touch the pellets, STOP. You're good to go. The pellets are already "compacted" and don't need your help like loose powder does.

Wrap your breechplug with teflon tape and add a touch of anti-sieze lube and do not tighten the plug. turn it in until it just stops and you won't have any problems. You can use the high temp tape and put one wrap but i find using the cheap white tape works just as well. Experiment a ltitle to find out how many wraps works best for you. The tape helps to seal against blowback into the threads.

skamaniac said:
Wrap your breechplug with teflon tape and add a touch of anti-sieze lube and do not tighten the plug. turn it in until it just stops and you won't have any problems. You can use the high temp tape and put one wrap but i find using the cheap white tape works just as well. Experiment a ltitle to find out how many wraps works best for you. The tape helps to seal against blowback into the threads.

[turn it in until it just stops and you won't have any problems.] too many people overtighten the breechplug for nothing ..i also clean my muzzleloader after each shot ,to get constant acuracy ,i know it's long and hard but i make sure my first shot is on the target ..

Back