Encore and BH 209 works

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny you mention the crack...

Both my wife and my brother happened to be around while I was doing some shooting and they thought I had wheeled a cannon out behind the barn. It does have more of a distinct rifle crack.

Crack

Is that because the propellant is hotter and burning faster?

I can't say.

Of course, this is all subjective, but to me it sounds more like a smokeless load out of the MLII than a T7 load out of my other MLers. I have always thought that the MLII has a distinct sound in comparison to other MLers.

I would say the crack is from the pressure build up. If this is a progressive burning powder (like smokeless) there would be more pressure when the bullet leaves the barrel. Thus the crack like a rifle or shotgun.

I'm not big into rifle reloading, so I could be way off base. Just my opinion.

I do believe the crack comes from the bullet breaking the sound barrier and the boom comes from pressure release.

blackhorne 209

Went out agin to today with my TC encore 209 .45. It appears that the bh 209 and the 200 SST has a slight edge over the 175 barns red hot in accuracy about 1.5 inch with the 200 gr SST and 110 or 120 gr of BH and about 1.75 with the 175 and 110 or 120 gr BH. Could not tell the difference between 110 or 120 in either load. The light blue harvester worked better than the tan. Shot some 100 gr and 130 grain loads with both bullets accuracy was poor approx 3 to 3.5 inchs. All loads were wieghed charges . I did not clean between shots and carbon build up in the plug was just as bad as when alcohol was used between shots so the alcohol had nothing to do with it. Accuracy might have been .25 of an inch better but maybe I was just haveing a better day. Loading with out cleaning was gradually tougher but it reached a point where it got no worse as I continued. When I previously loaded a clean barrel the start and shove was smooth all the waY . Loading a fouled barrel started tougher than a clean one and was some what jerky. Even tho the SST was a little more accurate the 175 red hot should be a killer far and near. Any body ever use the red hot 175 the harvest game with ? What kind of a job did it do . Did it open up ? Shot the 195 barns red hot it went about 4 inch at 100 yd .The sabot appeared a little short
Wayles

Have you tried Triple Se7en or Pyrodex in your .45 Encore? Just wondering how it shot if your did...

I've owned three different .45s(if you include Whites, make it 5!) and ALL were more picky than their .50cal counterpart. The Knight Disc Elite .45 shot the 195gr Barnes best, the Kodiak .45 shot nothing, and the Omega actually about tied with the 275gr Powderbelt and the 200gr SST. There really aren't that many choices for .45cal bullets/sabots. One choice that IS available now that wasn't when I was into .45s is the 200gr Parker HydraCon. You might give them a try.

When you gonna shoot the .50 cal?

blackhorne 209

Big 6x6
I plane to try the .50 cal next week end , hopfully it will do a little better. Tripple 7 yeilds about the same accuracy with the .45 cal.I have heard good things about the parker and will try it in the .45. Have you ever harvested a critter with the barns 175?
Wayles

Re: blackhorne 209

wayles said:
Have you ever harvested a critter with the barns 175?

The 195 didnt pass the test for me. Two dead Deer, very little blood and alot of tracking. The 200grn XTP'S worked as good as could be expected.
The 200grn SST didnt do bad either.

blackhorne 209

Grouse that is info good to know. Must not have opened up. What velocity were you pushing it at ? and how was penatration ? Could you describe the scenario a little?
Wayles

All bullets were shot with two 777 pellets. I believe as far as i can remember all shot were right behind the shoulder. It's pretty hard to beat XTP'S in any combination for Deer.

I bet the Barnes would be better at higher velocities.

Back