dumb question but need help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prostreetcamaro

Reaction score
This may sound dumb but how do you guys foul your barrel before you load the gun to go hunting? Do you just drop in a couple grains and fire off a cap to dirty the barrel?

Most just fire two or three primers and then load for the hunt. Just always make sure the breech plug is clear before you load.

So should I clean my gun before I sight in my gun? I've never heard of any of this fouling business....someone educate me a little LOL...

I think it depends. I'll fire a couple of primers to make sure that there is no moisture or oil left in my barrel but to actually foul it I'll fire 30-40 grains of loose powder. I have a Traditons that you have to really foul before you can shoot Powerbelts out of.

ramitupurs84,
I recommend that you start a shooting session with a clean gun. I like to run a patch down the bore and back out. Then I turn the patch over and run it down again. This should pick up the gun oil. While the patch is down against the breech plug I fire off a cap. My belief is that this will send any oil in the breech plug in to the patch and not down the barrel. I pull out the ram rod and discard the patch. I then shoot my rifle and pay particular attention to where the first shot goes compared to the second and third. If they make a good group, then that gun does not need a fouling shot to hunt with. If the first shot is significantly out of the group of shot #2 and #3, and the problem was not me, then that particular rifle I would foul before hunting with it.

ramitupurs84 said:
So should I clean my gun before I sight in my gun? I've never heard of any of this fouling business....someone educate me a little LOL...

Example

My knight disc elite shoots a couple inches high on a clean barrel. Once the barrel is dirty from a shot it will shoot lower consistantly and thats how its sighted in so I need to dirty the barrel before I load it with my hunting load.

When I start with a clean rifle I always fire a primer or 2. Then dry swab and load. After the rifle has been fired I dry swab unless I'm hunting and reload in case I need a follow up shot.

Fowling a barrel is an old shooters trick. The point is for consistancy shot to shot, you want all things the same. So if your first shot is on a sparkling clean oil free barrel, and your next shot is on a powder crusted, swabbed barrel, that is an inconsistancy in many people's mind. Since the condition of the bore has changed.

Now consider you fowl the barrel and swab it. So you now have a powder crusted, swabbed barrel and you shoot. Your next shot after you swab is again, a swabbed powder crusted barrel, you have consistancy somewhat. So if consistancy makes a big difference in your rifle, then you should shoot a better group this time, if you count your first shot.

What you need to do is start on a clean barrel and shoot at 100 yards. Now swab the barrel and shoot again. Swab the barrel and shoot again. Did the first shot hit on a different area then the other two? If not, then you have no need to swab the barrel. If the first shot was only a half inch or so off, again no need to swab the barrel. BUT I have a rifle that on a clean barrel will shoot an inch and a half high and a little left. After that it will shoot out the bulls eye. So if I want that first shot to be exactly where my scope is set, then I need to fowl, or sight in on a perfect clean barrel.

When I fowl a barrel I like to dump 40 grains of the powder I am going to use, then push a wad down on the charge, or a patch. Cap it, aim somewhere safe, and fire it. Now swab like normal. You now have a fowled barrel.

Thanks for the info. I never heard of it. I plan on cleaning it tonight after a exam I have for a MGT class. I will try this out....Anyone have any previews for a FireHawk...

Back