Decisions decisions......

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizz

Reaction score
I'm torn between the Remington Genesis and the CVA Accura. It has been made painfully obvious to me that if I am going to hunt Colorado with any regularity, it will be with a smoke pole. That's pretty cool I guess. It gives me a reason to get back into blackpowder. I did the PA round ball thing 20 years ago with a TC Hawken. Now I need a good accurate thumper for Elk in Wyoming and Colorado. I missed the boat BIG TIME on the Remington! I didn't even know there was a sale going on at Cabelas. A co-worker hands me a Genesis he ordered from them. Paid like $189.00 for it and got a $100.00 rebate or some such thing. I know he got it for a song! I'm always a day late and a dollar short. Anyway, I need the opinions of the forum here to help with the plus or minus points of each. Also, where can I get the best price on either. Mail order is fine. Thanks a bunch,Grizz.

I have never shot or held either gun but i bet ya most votes will go for the accura, iv heard too many good things about this gun.

Since Remington is dropping the Genesis, you might not be able to get parts for it in the future. I suppose some Traditions parts might fit it since it was made by them.

Tradition's Yukon is the same rifle as teh Genesis.

I would go with the Accura if I had a choice between the two. BUT consider that Colorado requires all lead bullets and I do not think sabots are legal. I could be wrong. Still if I were faced with a conical need I would be looking on the different sites for a White rifle. They are hard to find, but they are out there.

Our Walmarts have been selling CVAs & Traditions for really really low prices. See if they have any left.

Grizz, I understand your need for a CO ML. You and I are in the same shoes. I hunt in CO every year and will only be using a ML in the future. This past year I wanted to use my Genesis for that hunt. However, with CO requiring a full bore projectile I couldn't get the Genesis to shoot conicals as well as I wanted. I think it was still huntable with about a 3 in @ 100yrd accuracy but I wanted better. That's why I ended up taking my 700ML. I love my Genesis for shooting sabots-and have yet to find one that won't shoot well in it. But it doesn't like conicals.

Can't speak for the Accura, never shot one. I'd consider looking for a White. A KRB would be a good option as well. They shoot conicals great as well and you should be able to get one for a under $300.

KRB has a stock fit issue for most folks so far as using open sights.

er, there is NO doubt in my mind which rifle I would choose among the two you're considering..

A big plus for the Accura is its lighter weight compared to the Genesis and that is far from the only plus. Not to knock the Genesis, but it isn't even in the same league.

I can only speak with certainty about the Accura. The ss barrels are 416R stainless and are excellent.

Can't help you with the Genesis. The big brown truck just delivered a new CVA Accura on Saturday. It's all cleaned up & ready to mount a scope (just need the bases).

I wanted a .45cal (my first) so I ended up with the camo/thumbhole version. It's the only choice in .45 at this time. I handled one at a gun shop nearby and felt the stock was comfortable. The gun is relatively light weight but as I said it does not have a scope yet.

The gun shop price was too high so I ended up buying it on sale at Natchez ($420). Also sent in a $40 rebate.

Fit and finish is quite good but there is a tiny spot of pitting or something on the side of the frame/receiver. It is hardly noticeable but I called CVA (BPI) and they said send it back and they will replace the gun. So far pretty good customer service.

However, I ain't sending it back. I pulled the sights off it, plugged the holes and I'm waiting for my scope base. Will mount a Bushnell Elite 4200 silver scope on it and hopefully shoot it this coming weekend.

I think the gun feels nice, looks nice and is a quality product.

Hope it shoots good. When it's rigged up I will post a picture. If you can hold out the prices on the Accuras will probably drop!

I purchased a Knight Disc extreme for that purpose myself. I will just get QD rings and remove the scope when it comes time for Elk hunting. I don't see why an Elite or Bighorn wouldn't be the equal of the disc extreme for that purpose especially when your limited to open sights. I have given up on Elk Rifle hunting , just too boring . [/list]

Hmm, lots of good input here. Now I am totally confused on one issue. How am I supposed to know which models of which brands will shoot full bore bullets? I have found a couple Knight Disc Extremes at good prices, as well as the Big Horn. Would these be better suited to the all lead bullets? I really like the Knight rifles. They seem to fit me great from an open sight perspective. What should I look for in a lead bullet rifle?

Grizz

I have found a couple Knight Disc Extremes at good prices, as well as the Big Horn.

Both of those guns will shoot conicals just fine! I have an Extreme and it shoots...

Have not shot a lot of conicals in it but enough to know I need .503/460 grain Bull Shop conical...

Underclocked said:
old/new, take a look at this base http://www.eabco.com/cgi-bin/shopper.ex ... ey=127-814 :D That thing should let a guy put a scope just about anywhere he likes.

UC,
I have a similar mount but the holes didn't line up. I always like to go with a one piece if practical. That base looks like a winner. I may try it! I ordered a set of Durasights. I'll see how they work too.

Go with the Accura. CVA's will shoot pretty much darn near everything from conicals to sabots with no headaches. Patched round balls too if the charge it kept low :lol:

Grizz said:
I have found a couple Knight Disc Extremes at good prices, as well as the Big Horn. Would these be better suited to the all lead bullets? I really like the Knight rifles. They seem to fit me great from an open sight perspective.

Now you're talking!

Green Mountain barrels & much less expensive. Knight makes top drawer smokepoles!

Back