CWD Is Spreading Out of Control

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There hasn't been a case where CWD has jumped species, from deer to human, however try telling that to my wife, no luck. It's a crying shame is what it is that may be the cause of not many hunters in the deer woods as well.

Around here in SE Minnesota I think processors are getting hard to find that will handle wild meat. This alone might keep hunter numbers down. I was at a holiday pot luck last Saturday and there were two different venison summer sausages there, both home done because nobody would take wild meat commercially even if it was brought in as clean trim. People bringing in clean goose and duck trim for sticks have been turned away due to the avian flu issues in wild birds. Same with processors making turkey jerky.

I've done my own cutting and sausage/jerky processing for over 40 years so I'm not affected by this.

Personally, I blame the media for all this panic about CWD and the other maladies that can afflict wild game. Once the media gets a sniff of anything it turns into a major league cluster F just so the media outlets can garner and healthy payday. I'd love it if some legislation were passed that made it 100% mandatory that anything in written or spoken or visual media be based entirely on verifiable FACT.

Lots of state's DNRs have been tasked with dealing with CWD, most with the sky is falling sort of animal eradication methods. Then they figure out that they can't erase all of these wild critters because they are smarter than the eradicators are. CWD is here and here to stay. The best way to handle it at the present is probably to offer voluntary check stations for those with concerns about the animals they take. These CWD hunts that happen in Minnesota have accomplished 2 things: they've reduced healthy deer numbers and have forced deer in the CWD zones to migrate into neighboring zones where CWD is not a problem and no out of season hunting is taking place.... the deer will flee into areas where they're not being shot at and how many of these fleeing deer are infected with CWD are in with those that migrate?

In spite of all the terroristic CWD crap being preached every state that has CWD present also has a very robust wild animal population. Wisconsin, Colorado, Wyoming and here in Minnesota.... all are on the CWD doomsday list according to the media but here we are with bumper crops of deer and not enough people hunting them. Maybe the DNR officials should have a clause in their employment contract to NOT read what the media spews, eh?

In spite of all the terroristic CWD crap being preached every state that has CWD present also has a very robust wild animal population. Wisconsin, Colorado, Wyoming and here in Minnesota.... all are on the CWD doomsday list according to the media but here we are with bumper crops of deer and not enough people hunting them. Maybe the DNR officials should have a clause in their employment contract to NOT read what the media spews, eh?
There is very little known about it, or at least very little that’s proven so there can’t help but be misinformation. Deer have it for several year’s before they even have symptoms.
It takes 25 years or more for it to become prevalent enough in a population to actually start to reduce deer numbers.

The past 2 seasons I have killed 2 deer that tested positive for CWD.
There hasn't been a case where CWD has jumped species, from deer to human, however try telling that to my wife, no luck. It's a crying shame is what it is that may be the cause of not many hunters in the deer woods as well.
Would not be the one to test the theory -- esp since nothing kills prions and incubation, though sometimes months long can be 20+ years
Do prions in the home = prions in the family??

There is very little known about it, or at least very little that’s proven so there can’t help but be misinformation. Deer have it for several year’s before they even have symptoms.
It takes 25 years or more for it to become prevalent enough in a population to actually start to reduce deer numbers.
My dairy farming friends hate having deer around for fear of heard getting brucellosis. Then their Grade milk becomes cheap animal food additive...They are more than happy to have anyone come hunt their land...wonder if CWD can be passed to bovines = Mad Cow??? I know they are concerned about it

My dairy farming friends hate having deer around for fear of heard getting brucellosis. Then their Grade milk becomes cheap animal food additive...They are more than happy to have anyone come hunt their land...wonder if CWD can be passed to bovines = Mad Cow??? I know they are concerned about it
I think “mad cow” was passed from sheep to cows because they were feeding the cows feed that contained protein derived from sheep parts, sheep that apparently had scrapie. CWD is specific to cervids and at least so far hasn’t jumped to anything else.

I think “mad cow” was passed from sheep to cows because they were feeding the cows feed that contained protein derived from sheep parts, sheep that apparently had scrapie. CWD is specific to cervids and at least so far hasn’t jumped to anything else.
You state source correctly. As I stated "I wonder...". Given a prion disease that has an incubation period that can take years; how can that be studied and conclusions reached with reliability in a reasonable time frame. For all we know, exposure and infection has already jumped species and we just have not yet seen evidence. We already know downer cows enter our food chain with regularity...so only time will tell.
In our city a pathologist was doing autopsy on patient who turned out to have vCJD and roughly 6 months later he diagnosed with same disease. A 55 yo Minnesota man who, not a hunter nor farmer, who went to 12 wild game feasts -- primarily venison -- succumbed to vCJD. Granted, 1 case does not make proof but --- Personally, me and mine will avoid...plenty of other critters to eat and enjoy since I live in an endemic area
Too bad as I love venison mince meat cookies

MIT Scientist Stephanie Seneff on the Relationship Between mRNA Vaccines & Prion Diseases.​

Welcome to the land of the free!

Scary as all get out!! Read her article on pregnant mom gets shot and baby incorporates spike protein...scary
More scary that CDC and WH push this ad nauseum

Talked to a young man who hunts north east Wyoming. Said there were carcuses in every bottom or valley. Not going back for a few years cause all the carcasses were mature animals. Going to wait until some younger bucks grow up.

The outbreak was made worse by feeding meat and bone meal from cattle to young calves.

"There is strong evidence and general agreement that the outbreak was amplified by feeding meat-and-bone meal prepared from cattle to young calves."

https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-...form-encephalopathy-bse-questions-and-answers
Yeah, anything that will save a few more pennies to the profits of the multi trillion Big Agribusiness giants..
We can only guess what **** is added to human food. Is Soylent Green next?

I like to play devils advocate on many subjects, some think its tin foil hat conspiracy theorists, but you cant tell if deer have cwd by looks alone, they must be tested..and by who, some government agency...so keep that in mind, the same government wanting to end gun ownership in this country, so how do you deter hunters to give up hunting and give up another reason to own a firearm...tell em the deer are sick and you cant eat them..
the same issue is gong on with the bird flue..government pays the farmers to let their chickens be culled or else, the or else is if anything happens to the flocks and the farmer didnt take the money the first time, is they get nothing, so almost a strong arm into taking the money and the govt kills off the chickens, adding to the inflation of eggs and chicken...
im sure there are legitimate cases of cwd in deer, but how can an individual without government testing prove or show its not or is as chronic as the so called trusted govt states?..if the last 2 years hasnt made you take a step back and wonder..then I dont know what will...
seems way too coincidental on all the damage being done to the food supplies and processing plants that burn down regularly in this country ..
do some of your own research and the dots start to connect....
when wild hogs started showing up in NY, dec stated..shoot on sight..then they claimed that just spreads them out so dont shoot and call the dec..that was probably after someone ( politician) realized it gave another reason to have a firearm in this crappy state...
bottom line is be informed from your own research and not what mainstream or the govt says it is...
if this is too political sorry, the mods can remove it...

Guess I better stop eating neck roasts....bone in of course. I cook it in a pressure cooker for 90 minutes so the meat just falls off the bone. My grandmother used to say "The closer the bone the sweeter the meat!" which is true. I'm probably alright, no CWD in my hunting area an the deer killed showed no signs of disease or I wouldn't be eating it....

Tom, why not just use gloves? Harbor Freight has them (or used to). I use them for field dressing, changing oil, etc.
In Michigan, any deer taken can be tested but it is only free in the monitored counties. They look at the head obviously but they are also using lymph nodes from the neck. Specifically the retropharyngeal nodes. Lymph nodes are NOT part of the nervous system -- in fact there are no lymph nodes in the central nervous system at all. Lymph node testing kits are available in 9 counties in Lower Michigan and 1 county in the UP. I can't help but wonder what other tissues might harbor the prion that have not yet been identified. In those counties lymph node testing is free. Other counties deer can be tested for a fee...how much I do not know
Michigan also now has APR areas but Minnesota lifted them so more smaller bucks who have higher incidence will be culled. Stidies show lower positive rates in the next year if APR's lifted
Here's a link to a short article --
https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/hunting/chronic-wasting-disease-wont-kill-whitetail-deer-hunting/

Last edited:
I too think it has been around forever
we just did not have a name for it
The last two seasons I shot 2 deer that have had it and the DNR says to trash the meat
Personally I don't think there is any chance to contract the disease but try to tell that to my wife, so.....

Latest posts

Back