CWD Is Spreading Out of Control

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problems with the dnr today are that they hire all these so-called smart people right out of college and plant them and their lack of smarts at a desk. For decades the dnr was a progressive department.... you were hired and started in the field where blisters were worked into calluses BEFORE all that education was allowed to merit input into decision making. That process took 20 years or more. Of course, that's the problem with today's workforce and job market, nobody thinks they're dumb enough to start at the bottom when in fact they know nothing. Like I said.... book smart, brain dead.

A friend has a hunting camp and acreage in Huntingdon PA. CWD slowly crept toward his area and it is
now included in a CWD zone. He has let even nice bucks walk because of CWD. The butchers in the
area have stopped processing game and he is leery of consuming the meat or of sharing it with others.
A whole way of life is ending in rural PA and elsewhere.
We all need to educate ourselves and our friends to best understand how to slow this disease for which
there is no known cure.
The only answer maybe to eliminate all cervids from vast areas where CWD is now endemic. Let the land
heal itself over a number of years and then reintroduce healthy animals.
Drastic and perhaps impossible…
That is so sad & such a shame. Thats been around long enough I'd think that it ought to have had a higher priority for research & testing to find the cure for it. Thanks for making ppl aware of the severity of whats going on.

Last summer I thought I heard some banter about the University of Minnesota Veterinarian School having come up with some sort of blood test that would show CWD without having to have a dead animal. It would certainly be nice if something like that came about so these morons that think eradication is the only answer.

Alabama discovered its first case of CWD two days ago. Florida has a carcass band. you are not allowed to bring deer carcass in from other states. Florida has no documented cases. But I fear it's only a matter of time. It is a real problem. It I lives in the ground for up to 5 years from what I understand.with all that's going on in the world now .Im afraid this subject has been put on the back burner.

You’re right, the prions can live in the ground for a long time.

I think in Colorado you can send the head of your carcass for testing .it sounds like a good idea to offer that.we hunt for food and will be consuming the meat .if CWD did make the jump from deer to human ,how would it spread amongst our families. It spreads from deer to deer through contact. it is something to consider it does affect the brains of primates. From what I understand people are eating infected cwd animals and there has been no logged case in humans. I don't think it would make the jump to humans,then again I'm no scientist .CWD is spreading so rapidly I don't know if it can be stopped.Because our way of life is at Jeopardy we are the only ones that care.due to all the Political stuff going on and covid.

From what I understand...when they actually infected primates with it, they injected it directly into their brains. Not exactly a normal type of cross transmission. If it readily jumped species, why do we never see a CWD positive coyote, possum, racoons or buzzards? Also, it's only going to keep spreading so people need to figure out what they will personally do about eating wild game. I personally only shoot healthy looking animals and bone out everything without touching any bone marrow or spinal cord/fluids. Not a 100% guarantee but seems like a reasonable precaution.

I've been boning my deer for over 50 years. Additionally, I remove all the fat and am very fussy about hair and blood. CWD is a nervous system issue and granted there are nerves within muscle masses but I think the problem is centered more to the brain and spinal cord.

While I am working with venison, skinning, removing antlers or cutting up the meat to make goodies I always have a buck of warm water laced with bleach to wash my hands frequently and another bucket of the same to clean knives and rinse my wipe-down towels that I use to keep the cutting surfaces clean. When all is said and done I wash my mitts with 91% rubbing alcohol, paying attention to the areas around the nails.

Guess I better stop eating neck roasts....bone in of course. I cook it in a pressure cooker for 90 minutes so the meat just falls off the bone. My grandmother used to say "The closer the bone the sweeter the meat!" which is true. I'm probably alright, no CWD in my hunting area an the deer killed showed no signs of disease or I wouldn't be eating it....

Tom, why not just use gloves? Harbor Freight has them (or used to). I use them for field dressing, changing oil, etc.

With the cold, snow and ice, I've been seeing a lot of family groups on the harvested fields and alfalfa fields around my place... the other day just at dusk I saw an older doe struggling to keep up with the group as they browsed across one of the fields. She could hardly walk... and I don't think it was that icy along with the other deer had no problem navigating their way across the field. I don't know if she was wounded/crippled/old, sick with something more innocuous, or CWD...

But I made me really mad that the .gov hasn't made allowances for land owners like me to remove such animals and deliver them for analysys... if it was CWD or any other disease it seems smart to remove them (ie let me shoot them)... and if she was wounded/crippled/old, seems like a more humane way to usher her passing.

It ain't going to get better until we get better methods of managing our herds.

the insurance companies pay out over a $$$ Billion each year for vehicle accidents and damage from deer..so the insurance companies would be happy if all the deer disappeared......so anything that kills off deer that " comes around".just makes you think twice..

A friend has a hunting camp and acreage in Huntingdon PA. CWD slowly crept toward his area and it is
now included in a CWD zone. He has let even nice bucks walk because of CWD. The butchers in the
area have stopped processing game and he is leery of consuming the meat or of sharing it with others.
A whole way of life is ending in rural PA and elsewhere.
We all need to educate ourselves and our friends to best understand how to slow this disease for which
there is no known cure.
The only answer maybe to eliminate all cervids from vast areas where CWD is now endemic. Let the land
heal itself over a number of years and then reintroduce healthy animals.
Drastic and perhaps impossible…

Your friend should simply get his deer tested. If he is in a management zone this is free. If found positive I believe they issue a new tag.

If found positive.. Great he did his part in culling that deer out of the herd. If found negative the meat is safe to consume.

I know it’s a different way of life but he can take actions to eliminate the concern.

I have been watching this CWD unfold since the 70s. The DNRs, State Environmental Bureaus, College Research facilities, Deer Ranches, Elk Ranches, and who ever else us trying to stop it arent any closer to finding out how it spreads now than they were 50 years ago. What they do know is, it can't be killed or cleaned from a facility that has it, it can't be cleaned from surgical instruments that have been used on CWD specimens ( Crutztfeld Jacobs Disease). Once it is in an environment, it's there. I know a state agency has tested road kills in NY and haven't found any CWD. Voluntary submittal of skills are checked with no evidence of CWD so far. If there are tests for live animals, then they should be used for all captive deer & elk herds. There is too much money in that business to stop it. We hunters will pay the price. This is like standing in the road waiting to get hit. Too much pissing in the dark here.

CWD is a wasting disease caused by prions. Prions are misfolded proteins that cause proteins in the brain to have the same misfolded shape. Mad cow disease and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in humans are caused by prions.

CWD in the US and Canada:

Expanding Distribution of Chronic Wasting Disease | U.S. Geological Survey (usgs.gov)

CWD is primarily spread to the wild deer population by deer that escape from "hunting ranches" and breeding facilities, deer rubbing noses through high fences and interstate transportation of infected deer. In a few states CWD is totally out of control. In some states infected deer herds at "hunting ranches" and deer breeding facilities are allowed to continue to exist. CWD will continue to exist in the soil at former hunting ranches and breeding facilities for many years after the deer are gone.

Some "hunters" willingly pay $10,000 or much more to kill grotesque pen raised bucks.

Texas "gets it" when it comes to dealing with CWD. The Texas emergency order regarding CWD:

"Discovered in 1967 at a government research facility in Colorado, CWD has spread throughout half the United States and four Canadian provinces. It reached Texas in 2012, first in a free-ranging mule deer herd in the Hueco Mountains near El Paso, then at a South Texas breeding facility three years later. It was quickly discovered in several other breeding facilities. In the nine years since the illness arrived here, CWD has been detected in 270 animals; nearly three-fourths were whitetails in captive breeding facilities.

This spring, wildlife scientists found new cause for alarm. For the first time in northeast Texas, a whitetail deer tested positive for CWD at a breeding facility in Hunt County, about fifty miles northeast of Dallas. Another nine cases were traced to a breeding operation in Uvalde County, a hundred miles west of San Antonio. Upon further testing, a total of at least 30 infected deer were found at six facilities, 25 at the Uvalde operation alone.

Neither the Uvalde nor Hunt County farms had imported any deer in recent years—they were both considered “closed herds”—so the vector by which CWD spread there was a mystery. According to True, ranchers who bought infected animals from the Uvalde operation were forced to kill not only those deer but their entire herds—hundreds of captive does and bucks, culled as a precaution.

“When there’s CWD detected on your farm, it’s a total wipeout,” said True, the owner of Big Rack Ranch, a two-thousand-acre breeding operation about an hour east of Dallas. According to True, about 10,000 captive deer have been killed because CWD was found in their pens. Some, he said, were breeding bucks valued as high as $250,000."

Texas Intensifies Its Fight Against “Zombie Deer Disease” – Texas Monthly

Became interested in this stuff after a distant cousin died of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Years a distant female cousin asked what happened to Mike. When it told her what killed Mike she said: "My God, my Dad died of that disease". .

I think that there's 3 counties in Ohio that do CWD tests during the season and it's mandatory to get the deer tested. Ohio was hit pretty hard with EHD in S.Ohio it was pretty bad! I had a doe in my neighbor's yard with it and it was sad to see that it was actually in my hunting area! I've never seen a deer act like that and hopefully I never do again!

The past 2 seasons I have killed 2 deer that tested positive for CWD.
There hasn't been a case where CWD has jumped species, from deer to human, however try telling that to my wife, no luck. It's a crying shame is what it is that may be the cause of not many hunters in the deer woods as well.

Back