CVA Wolf

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took my new wolf out for a few shots yesterday. Cold and windy up at the range, so I didn't stay long.
Mostly trying to get the scope dialed in. 6 shots at 25 yards.
I only messed with the elevation turret yesterday. First few shots grouped up well but high left.
Moved the scope down, then went too far. Brought it up a bit.
My last shot hit about the right height. 20221215_130627.jpg20221215_130931.jpg

I was very impressed with how my cheap, under $200. Wolf shot. I bought it basically as a “back -up” rifle to my T/C Triumph. I kept the open fiber optic sights on it so it would be handier on rainy days and when on deer drives. I sighted it in at 75 yards with two T7 pellets and Hornady sabots. Shot great, in fact I was able to take this nice fat doe at right about 75 yards during our late muzzleloader season here in Vermont. She is a keeper!55B238B8-32FE-43D0-8308-411251E0C736.jpeg

Earlier this year I sold a crossbow and used that money to buy a new CVA Optima V2 rifle, which is very nice but I'm kinda liking this Wolf better.
For an entry level muzzleloader, you can't go wrong.

I got into my V2 Accura for a song when it was new. I couldn't have ever found a better price on it. It's a very serviceable gun and is accurate as all get out. I honestly feel though that if I was in the hunting gun market, based on my hunting needs, I would opt for a wolf. They are accurate at the ranges I need and have to be much lighter.

I haven't weighed the Wolf but I'm guessing 6 1/2 pounds or so?
With the integral "palmsaver" ramrod, scope mounts, and Nikon "Inline XR" BDC scope the total weight is 7.45 pounds.
That lighter weight is why a load of 77 gr. wt. (110 vol.) of BH 209 and 330 gr. Hardcast Harvester bullet in a "crushrib" Harvester sabot is a pretty brutal load from the bench. Good to 300 yds., tho, and that's easier to do with the vertical markings of that scope's reticule, which provide readily useable aiming points. Watch out elk!
Aloha, Ka'imiloa

My rem 700 rig weighs 11 1/2 lbs

For some, ultra light rifle is the goal, but a 10 year old kid could likely shoot this rifle even with a substantial load - as for elk, large bear or bison - and still handle the recoil. And if it did have a scope you would never get nailed in the forehead by it, especially when shooting steeply uphill. That's the good side of a heavier rifle.
Inlines have caused a mass shift to heavier loads. Many a budding or existing flinch has doubtless been the result. Flinches are easy to get, hard to lose.
Aloha, Ka'imiloa

Earlier this year I sold a crossbow and used that money to buy a new CVA Optima V2 rifle, which is very nice but I'm kinda liking this Wolf better.
For an entry level muzzleloader, you can't go wrong.
I looked at the Wolf when I bought my Optima V2. Of the 2 I looked at the Wolf had a better trigger but I wanted the longer barrel.

The trigger on the Wolf I handled was exceptional. For hunting thick brush or a ground blind that Wolf would be very hard to beat. Expert or novice.

With the integral "palmsaver" ramrod, scope mounts, and Nikon "Inline XR" BDC scope the total weight is 7.45 pounds.
That lighter weight is why a load of 77 gr. wt. (110 vol.) of BH 209 and 330 gr. Hardcast Harvester bullet in a "crushrib" Harvester sabot is a pretty brutal load from the bench. Good to 300 yds., tho, and that's easier to do with the vertical markings of that scope's reticule, which provide readily useable aiming points. Watch out elk!
Aloha, Ka'imiloa
When I had my gun out the other day, I was only shooting a 245 grain bullet and 60 grains (V) of Swiss 3f black powder.

Latest posts

Back