CVA Wolf comes through

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redear

Reaction score
I have been muzzleloader hunting in the evenings for two weeks now and have passed on a lot of spikes, and does etc. but this evening just as I was getting ready to get up and leave a nicer buck showed himself on the cut corn field. It was across the field and further than any shot I'd taken before at 187 yds on the range finder. I took the shot and never heard the bullet hit so I thought maybe I held a little too high, being disabled and not being able to walk all the way across the field I headed home to get the wife, we came back with my son and drove around the field as far as we could and had to walk another 100 yds in the dark with lights, and low and behold there he was! never moved after the shot and the 295 gr. hp powerbelt took him a little high just under the spine behind the shoulder. I was using my new last year cva wolf stainless with 2 pellets of t7 50gr. pellets and a win209 blue box primer. last year I took a small 6pt at 162 yds with the same gun and load. the buck this evening was only about 15-16 inches wide and a 7 pt, he was in rut and stinking too, lol his neck was swollen. I am impressed with this little gun, this season I upgraded to a DNZ mount and Nikon inline scope. I am computer challenged and never have been able to do that pic posting all you all do but he wasn't a toad anyway. I have a couple pics of him on my phone. there wasn't much left of the bullet that we found under the hide on the far side, basically the back end of the bullet, everything else has fragmented away possibly getting the bottom of the spine, at any rate I have tried many premium bullets trying to get away from the 295 power belt hp's but none of those other bullets can hold a group like these can out of this gun, I have just had to accept it, lol

Another curious thing about this wolf, the 2 triple 7 pellet load is more accurate than blackhorn powder, I bought the breech plug too, heck it wouldn't top the t7 pellets. I still want to shoot blackhorn but I think it's gonna have to waite for a different gun, possibly an accura.

That was a hell of a shot- beyond what I would have attempted. My little round balls and I stay on the puny side of 100 yards. Can't wait to see the pics! Grats! You can take that kind of shot, you can figure out how to post pics! lol

being disabled and unable to walk in the woods I sit on these crop fields, which a lot of times have been harvested and have rye grass as a cover crop, the shots are always wide open at feeding deer. I put a lot of lead weight into that guns fore arm stock because she kicks, it sits dead steady on the bog pod sticks. He was standing still and broadside, the target looked plenty big in the scope. If ya'll wanna see this buck I can send a couple pics to someones email if they would post them for me. another thing is I really like this Nikon inline scope, the eye relief and clarity are great.

jonathan, I emailed you 2 pics of that buck, they weren't great pics, just skinning shed pics I snapped before they got busy with it. they drug it off the tailgate and hung it up so fast I never got any good pics with it.

pictur10.jpg

pictur11.jpg

the regular shotgun deer season started today so I can't use the muzzleloader anymore this year, I took the cva slug gun out to that field this evening but didn't see anything.

Back