cva offering new breech plug for BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leserz

Reaction score
CVA To Offer ?BLACKHORN QR BREECH PLUG?

CVA has announced that it will soon introduce a new version of its popular Quick Release Breech Plug -- or QRBP. Unlike the original QRBP design, which was constructed for optimal performance with pelletized propellants, the new ?Blackhorn QR Breech Plug? is specifically designed for use with BLACKHORN? and other loose powder muzzleloading propellants. ?By offering QR plugs that are optimal for whichever type of propellant the shooter chooses to use, either pelletized or loose, we will keep everyone happy with the performance of their CVA gun,? said Dudley McGarity, CEO of Blackpowder Products Inc., the owner of the CVA brand.

Black Horn QRBPCVA has made big news over the past couple of years with its patent pending Quick Release Breech Plug (QRBP) system. The CVA QRBP is unique in that it is the only muzzleloading breech plug design that is easily removable by hand after shooting the gun ? even numerous times. The original QRBP, which is provided standard with each gun sold, has a flat face and very small flash hole. When using pellets, this design makes the crushing of the pellets less likely and prevents too much fire (and pressure) from reaching the charge ? both of which can lead to accuracy problems.

?Some shooters reported that they were experiencing ignition delays when using Blackhorn in CVA guns equipped with the QRBP, and it became evident to us that what was the best design for pelletized propellants was not necessarily the best design for loose propellants,? McGarity explained. ?Western Powders, Inc., the manufacturers of Blackhorn, had received similar complaints, and the guys there jumped right on the problem and modified an original QRBP, giving it a concave face and a larger flash hole, and the result was flawless performance with the Blackhorn powder. Then, Western provided the design drawings to CVA so that we could build the new plugs and offer them to our customers. Due to Western Powders? great efforts in the new plug design, we started calling it the ?Blackhorn breech plug? and we ended up carrying the name over to the actual product.?

CVA?s new ?BLACKHORN QR BREECH PLUG? will be available sometime in June through CVA retailers and through www.cva.com.Western Powders will also offer the plug to its customers.
The part numbers are AC1610BH for the Apex and AC1611BH for the Accura V2, Optima, and Wolf.

This is good news, but,

" . . . it became evident to us that what was the best design for pelletized propellants was not necessarily the best design for loose propellants,?

Duh!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :twisted:

I wonder how the new plug will compare to TC's line of plugs that didn't need mods to shoot BH209 with out issue.

I guess this is good news for all the CVA fans out there.

Steve

For an inexpensive muzzleloader , I think it is great that they are going to offer a plug that will increase performance for those of us who use loose powder.

I wonder why they didn't make a BH209 plug for non QR versions? Lots of Accura V1 owners ect are being ignored.

Ron the Optima Pro plug you made me works great with the BH-209 I haven't had a chance to try your Apex plug yet but I have no doubt it will work also.

ronlaughlin said:
GM54-120 said:
I wonder why they didn't make a BH209 plug for non QR versions? Lots of Accura V1 owners ect are being ignored.
Should you ever need one, you know where to start your search.

and you will be able to end your search there ,they work great !

Latest posts

Back