CVA Navy 1851 Navy .36

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete I cast all my balls a little over size so I know they go in very tight . I've taken a few out after loading and can see where they have been flattened around the circumference and from what I've seen they all make a perfect seal.

That's fine, but someone may see what you said, and do it with store bought balls. Without seeing the shaved ring they wouldn't know how the balls were fitting.

Seeing the ring is a safety issue.

well i finished polishing the frame yesterday, i blacked it out, washed in cold water and it looks great. Just have the trigger guard left to do.

That's funny. I always bought my Colt 1860's new, and tried to make them look old.

You could even buy them for Cimarron that would do it for you. They called it the Original Finish. They looked like you just dug them up from being in the ground for 50 years.

Will the vinegar take the blueing off Pete ?

That gun looks like it's been dug up .

It will take it off easily, and etch the metal if you leave it on too long. It's strong stuff.

That will work nice on a new rifle with steel furniture as well , we normally leave the furniture in the white to acquire a patina but this will really speed things up.

FrontierGander said:
well i finished polishing the frame yesterday, i blacked it out, washed in cold water and it looks great. Just have the trigger guard left to do.
Blacking the frame sounds like a good idea, since the brass will only tarnish in a very short time.  How did you black it out :?:  Any pics :?:

Back