Why in-line

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calemmett

Reaction score
Before anyone gets his knickers in a twist, let me say that I don't care what anyone else shoots. It's a big country and a free one, and we are accountable to no one for our legal choices. And there is certainly nothing inherently wrong about improving the muzzleloader, After all, we've been doing it for centuries.

Up to now I have been a pistol shooter, and as far as black powder is concerned, that is largely a traditional sport. The situation is exactly the opposite in rifle shooting, where in-liners dominate. Since I am thinking of entering the field, my question is--"why?"

It's easy to understand wanting a rifle like the one great-granpappy used to whup up on the bluebellies at Fredericksburg. I feel the urge even though I have no idea whether any of my ancestors fought there on either side Figuring out why I should buy an in-line is a bit harder. Here are some possible reasons:

1. The challenge of using a single-shot. That won't wash; there are single-shot breechloaders.
2. Because the propellant and/or ignition mechanism are traditional. Nope, the propellant is rarely black powder and the igniter is usually a modern shotshell primer--or even electric.
3. The challenge of using a weapon with a higher trajectory and shorter range. Naw, I could get a .44-40 lever action.
4. There is just something romantic about loading from the muzzle, like great-granpappy did, even if nothing else is the same. But I could pull the bullet from a rifle cartridge, chamber the case, and push the bullet down the spout, and--voila!--I have a muzzleloader. (This was common among target shooters prior to World War I.) The fact that smokeless powder is used is no objection; there are smokeless muzzleloaders.
5. They are more efficient, effective weapons than, say, an 1853 Enfield. Absolutely. So is a Remington 700.

The fact that muzzleloaders are overwhelmingly in-line means that a lot of people have found a reason. So, fellas, help me out. Why should I join you and not the traditionalists?

Cal

c

I've shot flintlocks for over twenty years and for Muzzleloader seasons prefer "traditional" rifles and have no problem with restrictive ML seasons that require sidelocks, sabotless projectiles, open sights etc. I like PA's flintlock-only season...

But I shoot inlines a lot and got into them a half-dozen years ago because some of my deer hunting is in a "shotgun-only" state that allows muzzleloaders in the regular firearms season, but not centerfire rifles. My inline is more accurate than a slug gun, is cheaper to shoot and kicks less. That's my excuse.

I recommend starting with a traditional sidelock and learning to shoot patched round balls, if you are genuinely curious. Modern in-lines are easy if you have a good understanding of the "old fashioned" basics.

Do what you want--it's a semi-free country...

I personally shoot an in line because it fits within the legal guidelines and I believe it is an advantage over traditional style muzzleloaders. I like to be able to look at my bore and know that it is clean instead of hoping it is. I do enjoy the season set aside for the muzzleloader, there are not as many hunters in the woods and the game is usually on edge when you do see them. I am not a traditionalist, but I do not have anything against those types- to each his own. I do use a scope, blackpowder approved substitute, modern bullets and sabot. I do enjoy shooting for accuracy and working up loads from the bench and also practicing field shooting. Using these modern inlines with all of the advancements I feel I have the potential to down deer at distances I could only dream of when I started approx 18 years ago. At the time, I was using a .50 Hawken and patched round balls with open sights. There is nothing like being prepared to take the longer shot and knowing with certainty that I could place my shot where aimed. I will admit though in most of my hunting, the shots presented could be accomplished with no problem with my old gun and open sights.

1. The challenge of using a single-shot. That won't wash; there are single-shot breechloaders.
That does not really wash. While yes a inline, traditional or a breech loader is a single shot, I can almost guarantee that you can load a breech loader much faster then the other two. Also breech loaders normally take a kind of cartridge of sorts, whether paper or brass. Every time you load a inline you are still custom loading that rifle...

2. Because the propellant and/or ignition mechanism are traditional. Nope, the propellant is rarely black powder and the igniter is usually a modern shotshell primer--or even electric.
I shoot a lot of black powder out of my inline rifles with a #11 cap or musket cap. Just like your great grandpappy used to whoop the bluebellys.. Also there are a lot of different ignition systems and such offered in both traditional and inline rifles. It is all a matter of personal preference..

3. The challenge of using a weapon with a higher trajectory and shorter range. Naw, I could get a .44-40 lever action.
Again a lot of difference in speed, ease of loading, etc with a 44-40 lever action. Also many inline shooters use conicals. Conicals are a very good way to put a slow moving projectile down range with lots of power behind it, but little powder pushing it.

4. There is just something romantic about loading from the muzzle, like great-granpappy did, even if nothing else is the same. But I could pull the bullet from a rifle cartridge, chamber the case, and push the bullet down the spout, and--voila!--I have a muzzleloader. (This was common among target shooters prior to World War I.) The fact that smokeless powder is used is no objection; there are smokeless muzzleloaders.

Romance has little to do with it IMO when I use a muzzleloader. I do it for the sport of it and I find it a challenge. Whether it is a Hawkins rifle or a White Ultra Mag. And why anyone would want to load a modern rifle in that manner is beyond me? Was there an advantage to that?

5. They are more efficient, effective weapons than, say, an 1853 Enfield. Absolutely. So is a Remington 700.
I would not under estimate the 1853 Enfield rifle. In the right hands, that was a good shooter. Although military rifles are not my thing. I like the Hawkins style but also I like the inlines as well. There is a inline made that looks like the Remington 700 by the way, and they are good shooters from what I have read.

As for why should you join the inline group.. no one is asking you to. They type of muzzleloader you shoot is a personal choice. I have a lot of rifles both inline and traditional rifles. Without optics my traditional rifles will hold their own almost all the time with a inline. If I can not see it, I can not shoot it. Now granted the type of projectile you use is again, a personal choice. So look at what is out there and what appeals to you. Then shoot what you like. I personally like a good sidelock rifle. But I also am real fond of my inlines as well.

They do make traditional rifles with modern fast twist barrels that shoot sabots and conicals just like the inlines. While they look traditional they will shoot the modern projectiles. I have a traditional that I even put a 1X scope on it. Very accurate and a lot of fun to shoot...

Welcome to the forum...

I live in a shotgun state. I just carry the same rifle over into the ML season when I hunt it.

You'll find your own preference. There's nothing wrong with either style choice.

Well I guess why should we talk you into somthing your obviously opposed to?

Inline= click, bang

Traditional= click, pause, pause, pause, maybe a bang????!!!!! :lol:

hm-m-m-m

Critters answer x 2, sometimes logic is best answer!

why inline

for me I got an inline mainly for increased hunting opportunities and the fun of something else to shoot. Where I do most of my deer hunting( se pa) its shotgun or muzzle loader.My t/c pro hunter kicks less then my slug gun, carrys better, shoots more accurately and costs less to shoot. And being a handloader I like being able to experiment with different bullets and powders for my inline that are not practical for a slug gun. I also have a flintlock and use that also BUT overall the inline is more reliable,especially in the rain.And you Can use a scope on a flintlock but to me that just aint right! And my eyes are not what they used to be and I use a scope whenever I can. And with removable breech plugs and pelletized powder using my inline is more convenient than my flintlock when it comes to unloading and cleaning.

Thanks to all for your help. You have given me a good deal to think about. And in answer to Cayuga's question about muzzleloading a modern rifle--yes, there was an advantage, or at least some shooters thought so. They felt that a bullet carefully seated in the rifling was more accurate than one that had to make a jump, however small, from the cartridge case to the bore. Obviously, no one feels that way today. Equally obviously, it was a technique not suited to rapid fire.

Thanks,
Cal

In a nutshell? because they are easier to use and shoot and care for, but they are still a muzzleloader.

I am 34 yrs old and until last year i had never shot a flint lock or inline muzzle loader. A friend of mine had a inline and i shot it one day. To my surprise i really liked it. Thats when i had to get a couple of my own. Now for me im not a history nut and dont have much intrest in flintlocks and the more primitive weopens. Some people like myself im sure bought an inline to hunt muzzle loading season and thats why we have inlines. You can buy an inline at walmart, but you wont see a flint lock and so they are not as available either for people.

Back