CVA ACCURA V2 LR/EARLY REVIEW

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a new Cva Accura V2 LR in the nitrate finish for Christmas. Followed the advice of a couple members here who recommended the 3 x 9 Zeiss Conquest for it. It was on sale for $299.00 so to me that was a no brainer, but was a bit concerned not having the BDC reticle like some others I had been looking at. Got it mounted to the DuraSight one piece scope sight and bore sighted the old fashion way by just looking down the bore at 40 yards and then adjusting the cross hairs to match.
I had an old box of Pyrodex 50 grain pellets so wanted to shoot them up plus get used to the gun before I got too concerned about tweaking it in with the best powder/sabot later on. I was loading 150 grains of pellets with a Hornady 300 grain SST sabot with a CCI 209 primer. My first shot at 100 yards was 7 inches right with the height dead on. Moved the scope according and after 9 total shots had the rifle shooting 2 inches high at 100 yards consistently. I took a couple of 150 yards shots with it both Saturday and Sunday am after my morning hunts and with the same load as above, both shots hit bulls eye from that distance, actually 1 shot was still 3/4" high at that distance. Has the 30" barrel tightened the shooting window some? It does have me wondering though how high it might be shooting from say around 50 yards or so. Hopefully no more than a couple inches high.
The gun/scope combo is an awesome package. I couldn't be any happier with it. It did come with a nice sling but I have ordered a Slogan Ultraflex Sling for it which should make it finally complete. Gun has a great feel to it and I can't wait to get more range time with this fine weapon. I plan on experimenting with some Blackhorn 209 powder/777 and other sabots in the future.
Long story shot- No buyers remorse!

With fresh pellets I would expect 2000 FPS, that would give you a trajectory that would be about 2.25 inches high at 100yd. real close to dead on at 150 and about 6 inches low at 200yd.
If you switch to Blackhorn try 115 grains or maybe 110 as an approximate match. If the recoil don't bother you it is a good long range load. My endeavor groups best with that load and bullet combination and a short black Harvester sabot. I use a 110 grain BH and a 250 for good groups in the Triumph.

Muley Hunter said:
Pretty stout load. What do you hunt for?

Texas Whitetails are usually the quarry. I had an Omega Z5 and had always shot 150 grains of pellets in it so just went the same route with this new rifle. The recoil is definitely less than the Omega due to the weight of the Accura V2 LR. The extra inch of scope relief is definitely a nice feature so I tend to be a lot less gun shy per say when shooting this new setup.

I think you'll enjoy using 110gr of BH 209, and a Barnes 250gr T-EZ.

Post some pics of the new rig if you can.

You will be glad you went with that Zeiss. It truly is a fantastic scope. I am moving mine over to my Omega this week.

Let us know what you think of that sling when you get it. I have watched all the videos on there site and am very tempted to try one.

I have three of the Slogan Ultraflex slings. By far my favorite sling!

I think I bought the same rifle a few weeks ago. This is my first ML and am still trying to figure out what the best load is. I mounted a older Zeiss 3x9x50 for now. Presently I am using 80grs. (by weight) of BH209 behind a 300gr Hornady XTP with a sabot. Accuracy is so so.

Here's a pic of a buck taken through the scope on my Accura, I just couldn't pull the trigger on em, he needs a year or 2.

image_zps02mewkeu.jpeg

I just love Zeiss's Z-plex reticle and that pic shows it off nicely. Great pic by the way. I have tried numerous times taking a photo through scopes and its tough. On that buck tho I would have been pulling the trigger not taking photos lol

Yes I use an iPhone. I have taken lots of pictures through scopes,binoculars and spotting scopes. It like anything you do , the more you do it the easier it becomes.

Latest posts

Back