Shock waves

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaner

Reaction score
My stock pile of 250 SW's is running low. Looking around the stores all I am finding is the easy loads. What is up with that? Are the black sabot ones still around, and I am just not finding them or has there been a change?

I have read a lot of post about using the short harvester sabot. What is the standard black sabot on the SW and SST? I have tried both and most of my stuff likes the SW a little better.

I noticed in the stores the EZ load seem to be the norm. Mine also likes the orignial shockwaves. I normally order then through Mid South Shooters Supply or Natchez.com

Ya those are it. They seem to be available, but not in the stores around here.

Are the standard back sabots on the SW the short harvester or long?

Anyone get as good of accuracy from the easy load sabot as the black one?

thaner said:
Are the standard back sabots on the SW the short harvester or long?

The black sabots that come with the SW's is the MMP HPH 24 same for the SST's.

the sst's i buy at the local gunshop come with a sabot that meas. .506 hph24 meas. .504 for me . karl

k

Originally the SST's did come with a HPH-12 and the SW's came with a HPH-24. I have not kept track as of late but I thought even Hornady had changed their contract to the 24 as most of the newer guns are coming with the more standard .503 and tighter bore barrel.

the sabot that came with my SW is shorter than the sabots that came with the SST. Both are black. But i also have some bulk MMP that are shorter than both. My golddots shoot fine out of the SW sabots, hit same as SW @ 100 yards but using the mmp they are all over the place :(

k said:
the sst's i buy at the local gunshop come with a sabot that meas. .506 hph24 meas. .504 for me . karl
The SST use to come with the HPH 12, all the newer flex tips I have bought come packaged with the HPH 24. The only way to be absolutely sure is to measure or check the mold number in the base of the sabot. The 24's have a stamped numeral that is easily read. The 12's have a number that looks to be hand written and is much harder to read, at least for me it is. Or you can pitch the supplied sabot and order direct from MMP or Harvester and be certain of what you have.

I remember when I was shooting my Black Diamond XR.. all they had were the SST's and I bought them. I broke a short starter that day trying to load them. Yet the "Shockwave" loaded and shot fine. And shot excellent.

I tried them EZ load and they shot OK but not as well as the old standard. Its a shame all barrels are not the same, then one sabot should handle all the rifles..

I must be buying old stock 250g sst but thats ok 10$ for 20 is'nt to bad a deal.I also buy bulk bullets and sabots seperatly.......karl

Not I. The old hard to load 250 grain SST/Shockwave bullets make cloverleafs when fired from my Encore at 100 yards: These sabots have the stepped base and are either red or black. The Easy Loads make 2-3" groups and the Super Glides make 6" and larger groups.

DW said:
k said:
The SST use to come with the HPH 12, all the newer flex tips I have bought come packaged with the HPH 24. The only way to be absolutely sure is to measure or check the mold number in the base of the sabot. The 24's have a stamped numeral that is easily read. The 12's have a number that looks to be hand written and is much harder to read, at least for me it is. Or you can pitch the supplied sabot and order direct from MMP or Harvester and be certain of what you have.

I just got off the phone with someone at hornady and he said that they use the MMP. BUT the MMP's i have are much shorter than the ones that came with my SST's.
So who knows

OptimaAndy said:
DW said:
k said:

I just got off the phone with someone at hornady and he said that they use the MMP. BUT the MMP's i have are much shorter than the ones that came with my SST's.
So who knows
If they have a concave base and not the stepped base they could be MMP shorts.
http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... php?t=9798

the SW and the SST both have the stepped base. the SST has a stamped number but the SW does not. the SW sabot is about 1/8 of an inch longer maybe a tad less. However the MMP black sabots i have in bulk are shorter than both and have a concaved base. So would the bullets have the harvester sabots?

OptimaAndy said:
the SW and the SST both have the stepped base. the SST has a stamped number but the SW does not. the SW sabot is about 1/8 of an inch longer maybe a tad less. However the MMP black sabots i have in bulk are shorter than both and have a concaved base. So would the bullets have the harvester sabots?
Harvester has a concave base. I don't recall anyone using a stepped base other than MMP.

looking at he outside of the box that the sabots are in that i got from cabelas is says precision rifles MMP sabots. The is a web address on the box and it is prbullet.com
Are these really mmp or someone elses rip offs.

Andy

Precision Rifle Bullet is the authorized MMP dealer in Canada. I would say the bullets you have were possibly packaged in Canada.

Getting things from the US to Canada is not near as difficult to get things from Canada to the US.

Latest posts

Back