Conical bullets / Muzzle guide question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc5000

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've read several posts saying that guns with muzzle guides (or QLA on the TC rifles) usualy don't shoot conical bullets well.

I understand that accuracy depends on a good muzzle crown, and a muzzle guide can be a bad thing for the crown: difficult to inspect the condition of the crown, the muzzle guide could be off center, maybe the process to drill the muzzle guide makes it difficult to ensure a good crown, etc.

But if the crown is bad, won't it affect accuracy with all types of projectiles? How can a gun with a bad crown have good accuracy with sabots?

I understand some guns just happen to like one type of projectile better, and one specific gun can shoot sabots well and conicals poorly. But how can a bad cronw affect a conical and not a sabot?

Thanks,
Marc

My opinion on this is a theory only but here it is: I believe that the QLA allows gas to blow by the conicals as they exit the barrel and cause them to become unstable before they have completely exited the barrel. I also believe that most are machined on center which makes little difference although if it is off-center the above theory would be made worse. I believe that when shooting sabots the plastic expands quickly enough to seal the gas and in fact is still in the QLA portion of the barrel when the bullet is starting to leave the sabot so the tendency for the bullet to become unstable is not there. Like I said it is a theory only but I think a fairly plausable one. What do you think???

Marc5000 said:
Hi there,

I've read several posts saying that guns with muzzle guides (or QLA on the TC rifles) usualy don't shoot conical bullets well.

I understand that accuracy depends on a good muzzle crown, and a muzzle guide can be a bad thing for the crown: difficult to inspect the condition of the crown, the muzzle guide could be off center, maybe the process to drill the muzzle guide makes it difficult to ensure a good crown, etc.

But if the crown is bad, won't it affect accuracy with all types of projectiles? How can a gun with a bad crown have good accuracy with sabots?

I understand some guns just happen to like one type of projectile better, and one specific gun can shoot sabots well and conicals poorly. But how can a bad cronw affect a conical and not a sabot?

Thanks,
Marc

Marc - first off let me welcome you to the forum. It is great to have you here.

While many complaints are made about the QLA of a Thompson Center rifle, I have not personally experienced any problems with them and I own a number of different Thompson Center Rifles.

Now many claim that the simple removal of the QLA by a qualified gun smith makes a big difference in the way they shoot conicals. I could understand this idea. My White Ultra Mag has a coned muzzle and it is the best conical shooter I ever experienced. My Black Diamond XR has the QLA and it is also a good conical shooter. I am very careful how I load a conical in the BD. I lightly set it into the false muzzle and then with a short starter pop it in one motion into the barrel. After that they load easy and shoot well.

If I tried conicals in a Thompson Center and it would not shoot them well, then I would try Powerbelts or Saber tooth next before I actually remove the QLA as it voids the warranty on the barrel I was told.

My TC Firehawk is going in the trash if I can't get it to shoot conicals. I'm going to get that dang qla chopped off, hope that fixes its accuracy problems.

Batchief909 said:
I thought you threw that Encore in the trash.... :roll: :lol:

Not yet...Once I get to shoot the .504 S91, gotta bed the rear lug and get something to shoot first, then most likely the .50 barrel will go. I still like the action of the Encore, my rifle trigger is great, its better suited as a centerfire rifle though.

Nim,
My .54 FireHawk had the QLA and shot the Buffalo Bullet pure lead conicals great. I think they were 425 grain. I then switched to a Knight red sabot/260 gr. Knight lead bullet combo that put alot of venison in the freezer before the Encores came out.

TT, my Firehawk is a .58, I tried TC's maxi- hunters, maxi-balls and Hornaday great plains with powder charges ranging from 70-90grs (RS and T7) with wads and without. I don't really want to shoot sabots with a .58 cal bore. I'm going to call TC to see what they say before I cut the QLA off. I'm at my wits end with this gun.

im shooting great plains 410 and 385 conicals. Using tripple 7 powder (loose and pellets) 100 grain loads. Will cut clover leafs at 50 yards with open sights.

My other encore did not shoot conicals very well, but shot them acceptable enough for hunting at 50 yards or so.

I also checked the bases and rings. They are good to go.

That TC woulda been floating in the pond if it were mine.... :lol: Might be good firewood, tho,,,, 8)

(I witnessed Nimrodder's performance) :shock:

Back