Conical Accuracy Test - Traditions Mountain Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Well, I decided to get a little more accuracy info. I warmed up the rifle and my self with  simple patched round ball shooting, shot at 50 yards using .490" ball, .020" patches LIGHTLY lubed with my anti rust lube, 70 & 80gr jim shockeys gold super powder. 7 shots total, zero swabbing, no hard spots to push through, just like it was a clean bore each time I loaded up
img_8417.jpg

Made a  switch over to conicals and yes, these 385gr hornady great plains bullets did require a short starter, but after that, super easy to go down the bore. I used 80gr Jim Shockeys Gold super powder with these bullets and it was like having a mule kick you. Terrible for range comfort but would make a beautiful hunting load.
img_8418.jpg

First 3 shots
img_8419.jpg

5 shots total.
img_8416.jpg

For you guys, I wore eye protection this time around.
img_8420.jpg

The Traditions Mountain Rifle has handled every projectile that I have tried, including REAL bullets, perfectly and accurately to use for hunting season.

I do prefer though round balls however! You can shoot all day long without the fear of a sore cheek or upper arm. Plus they are accurate and super cheap to buy or even better, cast your self!

Thanks for the write-up! I just got a Mountain Rifle for Christmas and cannot wait to try it. Sounds like I had better stick to shooting round balls for a while. Great advice here.

Latest posts

Back