Coned Muzzle Accuracy 50 yards

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
GRRW CA .50cal Hawken Flintlock 50 yards.
10 shots with some Shoot Out! Patch Lube & Bore Enhancer today! 50 yards with 70gr 3fg Goex, .015" Bridgers Best patches & .490 round balls.
100_1910.jpg

Afterward I decided to take 5 more shots with 80gr 2fg Gearhart Owen black powder and this time a .020" Bridgers Best patch soaked in Shoot Out! Patch Lube. Excess lube of course was squeezed out.
100_1911.jpg

100_2010.jpg

Shes a shooter! I am extremely happy with the rifle and how it functions and shoots.\

The .020" patch is thick, but I am able to push it down the muzzle with thumb pressure. Personally, I think the thicker .020 patch loaded easier into the coned muzzle than did the .015 patch. I think because the thicker patch uses a coarse weave, it allows for the fouling to fill up in that weave, making for easier loading VS a super tight weave patch that feels like silk. :scratch:

The best part of today.... I actually had some video camera help while I was shooting.

Hey your moving ahead with the project.  :cheers:  This has moved faster than expected Jonathan. 

GRRW.CA J&S HAWKEN
  • .50 caliber - 15/16" - 34 1/2" Barrel Length. 
  • Ron Long Hooked Tang.
  • Colerain Barrel: 1:56 Twist / .016" Rifling depth, Cut Round Bottom Rifling. (Rifling depth is .016” per side, cut round bottom) (radius groove) rifling.
  • Ron Long Lock.
  • Ron Long Double Set Triggers.
  • Curly Maple Stock finished with Linseed Oil (Soon to be refinished with Genuine Oil).
  • Primitive Front & Rear Sights.
  • 3/8" Hickory Ram Rod.
Updates: 
1.) Vent Liner was drilled out with a 1/16th drill bit in order to get perfect ignition. It seriously is like shooting a percussion rifle!
2.) Opened up rear sight from what the factory casting was - really help to see a clear picture.
3.) Checked the smoothness of the lock and triggers - fine, nothing needed.
4.) Tested as is right out of the box (new unfired) - was surprised at how fast the lock was and how accurate.
5.) Coned the muzzle, tested for comparisons of before and after.
6.) Checked the breech plug to wood fit, may glass bed this area (seems all of these guns benefit from this work).
7.) Now using Birchwood Casey's new oil finish over the boiled linseed oil finish for  better protection again damp weather.

Send it home unless Buck decided to give it to me?  :heart:   :D

Well. If Buck truly was the sweet ol man he claims to be, He'd  tell me to keep it for my Bear hunt in September :bom:

No chance to shoot this evening, It started to rain! I even pulled out the buckskin pants and green check worked shirt!

I'm not usually called SWEET Jonathan, its usually something a little harder in the four letter language style. :no:    :tongue:    
I claim not to be as you suggested, that's like kissing butt kid....  :D   :shock:   

I may want to try this gun on bear myself (use it in the regular rifle season). I have a tag for that season and can hunt on a private ranch outside of Estes Park CO.  :cheers:

Your talking hunting bear and a little rain shuts you down, oh boy we need to talk to your dad. What kind of a mountain man are you (your not turning into one of those rendezvous types that are always clean looking) ....  :evil:   :tongue:   :arrow: 

Protect my rifle from bad weather until you have coated in many times with the new Birchwood Casey product, you know the routine.  :Red tup:

Back