Cleaning BH209/CVA QRBP Flash Hole?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike....You don't think the powder is leaving any residue on an inline BP? On a flintlock all you have is powder and the touch-hole plugs. It's a lot bigger than the tiny hole in a breech plug too.

Muley Hunter said:
Mike....You don't think the powder is leaving any residue on an inline BP?

Definitely there is residue in the bp. That is why I drill the flash channel out but I have yet to see a flash channel that is plugged or semi plugged after soaking.... Even then I do blow compressed air through the flash hole of vent liner in my case.

On a flintlock all you have is powder and the touch-hole plugs. It's a lot bigger than the tiny hole in a breech plug too.
Pete I do not have enough experiance with a rock sparker to know much about them... I do remember when cleaning the bore I pumped soapy water back forth through the touch hole. But again I never remember needing to pick it. But again very little experiance with that type of rifle.

have never had to clean a flash hole on any inline I've ever owned, clean flash channel real good, powder chamber in plug, soak plug in whatever solution, blow out, look make sure flash hole is clear/open, guns always go bang.

You guys are cleaning the flash hole. You're soaking and then blowing out. I never have to soak and just runs the drills and wipe it off with solvent.

We just have different methods.

true, should of said never had to or wanted to use a drill bit for above said reasons.

Muley Hunter said:
You guys are cleaning the flash hole. You're soaking and then blowing out. I never have to soak and just runs the drills and wipe it off with solvent.

We just have different methods.

I never gave it a 2nd thought since CVA came out with a tool to clean the flash hole and flash channel which is two drills that stay centered in BP.

Most guys grease the threads in the CVA BP too, but it's not needed if you use BH 209. I shoot it bone dry and it never sticks. That could be why I don't see a need to soak it.

I'm an old coot set in his ways. If what i'm doing is working, I just stay with it.

You don't want to watch me skin and bone out an elk. You'll go wth..........but then you'll realize. That was pretty fast and easy.

Muley Hunter said:
I never gave it a 2nd thought since CVA came out with a tool to clean the flash hole and flash channel which is two drills that stay centered in BP.

Most guys grease the threads in the CVA BP too, but it's not needed if you use BH 209. I shoot it bone dry and it never sticks. That could be why I don't see a need to soak it.

I'm an old coot set in his ways. If what i'm doing is working, I just stay with it.

You don't want to watch me skin and bone out an elk. You'll go wth..........but then you'll realize. That was pretty fast and easy.

Nothing wrong at all with being a little older and being set in one's ways. I do agree on the CVA plugs shot dry using the 209 powder. I do too.

One thing i don't spend much time cleaning is flash holes. They don't seem to need cleaning. However, i have spent a lot of time measuring flash holes. Flash holes in my breech plugs are measured every time i clean the rifle. They are measured by using pin gages. The gages i own are heat treated to Rockwell 60-62 hardness. It seems they would be harder than any breech plug. A while back i was experimenting shooting large rifle magnum primers. This required a breech plug modification. I was very curious about flash hole wear when using the magnum rifle primer, because i had enlarged the flash hole to 0.034" when making the modification to the breech plug.

What i learned was the large rifle magnum rifle primer did not erode flash holes at all. What i measured using the hardened pin gage, was the flash hole stayed exactly the same after 700 shots, as it was when i started shooting the modified breech plug, and rife primers. The flash hole before any shot measured 0.034". The flash hole after 700 shot measured 0.034". After that i quit counting.

This shows two things: Rifle primers don't erode flash holes. Measuring the diameter of the flash hole didn't enlarge the diameter of the flash hole even though the gage was harder than the breech plug.

My opinion is: flash holes growth is mostly caused by the amount of powder burned, and by shotgun primers. Burn 90g Blackhorn, and the flash hole enlarges slowly, compared to the rate of growth when burning 110 grain Blackhorn. Use shotgun primers, and the flash hole will grow larger with each shot. Shoving a hardened pin gage through the flash hole does not cause the flash hole to erode faster. Use large rifle magnum primers, 90 grain Blackhorn, and the flash hole will last infinitely. Just my opinion :)

Ron..........How many shots do you think a BP is good for if using 90gr of BH 209 and a hot shotgun primer? How big can the flash hole get before accuracy is gone?

Thanks.

Pete, i am not that good of a shot when using brand new breech plugs, so i don't notice a worsening in accuracy. What i do notice when the flash hole grows to about 0.036", is soot coming right through the primer. Evidently the larger flash holes allows too much pressure on the shotgun primer. The only time i ever wrote anything down about flash hole wear, is when i was shooting the rifle primer. Don't really know how many shots it would take a shot gun primer to enlarge the flash hole to 0.036". My WAG, is, if the charge is 90g Blackhorn -- guessing about 400 shots. Just guessing :) just a guess.

Ok, Ron. Thanks. Your guess is better than mine. I'm usually not bothered until I see accuracy affected. Which could also mean slower ignition.

Would not blow back effect how the flash hole erodes?

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

herschel conyers said:
Would not blow back effect how the flash hole erodes?

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Yes, especially if your breech is not sealed and allows blowback to push through into the breech.

ronlaughlin said:
i don't notice a worsening in accuracy. What i do notice when the flash hole grows to about 0.036", is soot coming right through the primer. Evidently the larger flash holes allows too much pressure on the shotgun primer.

I have found the same thing

Latest posts

Back