Cleaning BH209/CVA QRBP Flash Hole?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TammyM

Reaction score
What size is the flash hole at the bottom of the flash channel on a CVA BH209 QR Breech Plug? What tool do you use to clean it? Drill bit? Welding torch tip cleaner? Other?

I'm using an 1/8" drill bit to clean the flash channel and a .32 cal. bronze bore brush to clean the powder chamber in the breech plug. But I don't know what to use to clean the flash hole.

In a pinch, you can use at-home tools to keep the hole clear. A small safety pin and/or the wife's sewing needles work well.

I don't as a rule, do anything in the small hole. If I hold the plug up to the light and see that the hole is blocked I use a piece of soft copper wire to open it.

MrTom said:
I don't as a rule, do anything in the small hole. If I hold the plug up to the light and see that the hole is blocked I use a piece of soft copper wire to open it.

I would like to agree with you.... do not put anything in the smal hole (flash hole) unless it is absolutely necessary. Running metal in and out of the vent hole will often help erode it further.

Do clean the flash chanel (the channel immediately under the primer port) using a hand turned drill to match the size of the flash channel in your breech plug.

I usually soak the plug in a Citrus Degreaser for a period of time to complete the final cleaning of the BP, whether it be BPowder or BH.

Let's think about this. Running a tiny drill in the flash hole will not make it bigger. No more than running the correct size drill in the flash channel. I'm talking about turning by hand and not using an electric drill.

I measure the flash hole and take note of it. Then I shoot for awhile and look at the flash hole. It's jagged looking. Obviously, it has carbon built up in the hole. The same as you get in the flash channel. I then run the special tool made by CVA for cleaning the flash channel and the flash hole. The hole is nice and round again and when measured it's the same size as it was before shooting.

If you drill a hole in something and then continue to run that drill in that same hole. How can it make it bigger? As long as you have a way to guide the drill down the center of the hole. It can't make it bigger.

Putting anything that's as hard or harder than the metal used in the actual plug can scratch the inside of the hole and allow gas cutting which will accelerate the erosion of the hole. Soft copper won't scratch the steel. Pins, needles, drill bits, torch reamers are all hard enough to scratch breech plug steel. I always attempt to blow whatever is in that small hole out with air first. If that doesn't do it I soak it and try the air again. My last recourse is the soft copper wire.

To the original poster....soak those plugs good in citrus solution after removing the primer fouling inside the primer pocket and doing your brush trick in the recess on the face of the plug, then use compressed air to blow out that tiny hole. Even the "canned" air used for blowing off computer components has enough UMPH to clear that hole as a rule.

Tom.........Have you actually tested that to see if it's absolutely true? One BP always picked and one never picked. What was the difference in size and how many shots did it take?

Muley Hunter said:
Tom.........Have you actually tested that to see if it's absolutely true? One BP always picked and one never picked. What was the difference in size and how many shots did it take?

Pete, why do you feel you even need to pick the flash hole? I personally have never seen one plugged!

Mike....I've never seen one completely plugged but have seen them about half plugged. I consider it similar to picking a nipple in a caplock or a touch-hole in a flintlock.

Maybe i'm too picky. :D

Muley Hunter said:
Mike....I've never seen one completely plugged but have seen them about half plugged. I consider it similar to picking a nipple in a caplock or a touch-hole in a flintlock.

Maybe i'm too picky. :D

No not at all - we all do what works for us! Just "keep on keeping on"

No Muley I haven't done any comparing. Never needed to really because soft copper is no way harder than any steel #1 and #2 the only time I have had a blocked hole, soaking got the bulk of the blockage out and the fine, soft copper wire did the rest without much need to push even. Steel on steel can scratch and if those scratches run parallel to the hole's length gas can run along the scratch then too.

I'm just offering an alternative to using something that has a far better chance of scratching is all. I could care less what anyone runs thru their flash holes and nipples but the copper is safer because its softer. What ever trips your trigger, have at it.

Maybe, i'm just lazy? I run two drills, wipe the rest of the BP with some solvent and i'm done. It takes about a minute.

You guys didn't chuckle at my picky pun?

sabotloader said:
Pete, why do you feel you even need to pick the flash hole? I personally have never seen one plugged!

I haven't seen it either. I don't put anything in my flash hole, they have always been clear.
It actually amazes me how much buildup there can be in the channel, yet the hole stays clear.

Does it have to be completely plugged up for you guys to clean it? Why pick a nipple or touch-hole? The breech plug is right in the powder like a nipple and touch-hole. Why wouldn't they all get plugged up a bit?

Muley Hunter said:
Does it have to be completely plugged up for you guys to clean it? Why pick a nipple or touch-hole? The breech plug is right in the powder like a nipple and touch-hole. Why wouldn't they all get plugged up a bit?

you know Pete when you first brought this up... I never even thought about a nipple or a touch hole... And I have used nipple picks on them before myself. BUT! they do not suffer near the stress that shooting a 209 primer and the subsequent blow back puts on the flash hole of an inline. The heat and stress of the inline flash hole IMO is far more stressful that the percussion caps we use in other applications...

Just my feeling anyway... so it doesn't account for much...

The only time I put anything metal in the flash hole is on the occassion that I might measure the size with a pin gage...

Latest posts

Back