Clean & accurate 45 elite

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NjRay

Reaction score
Finally got to the range to shoot my Knight 45 elite. I been reading this forum for about 2 months and have learned a lot. Got the Lehigh bp and adapter for bare primers and got some Blackhorn 209. Bought 3 types of 209 primers and Harvester light blue sabots. I'm trying to stay with Barnes expanders 195 gr., have been shooting them for about 15 years with great success killing deer.

Started at 100yds and 110gr of Bh, first group was at 1 inch, so far so good. Increased to 120gr and group went to about 2.5 inches. Wow? Next group came down to 2 inches with 115gr. So then backed down to 105gr and 3 shot group a very impressive 11/16 of an inch, wow!

I will go back in a week or so and dial into zero, and shoot out to 300 yds and see what it can do. Bh is hitting about 2 inches below bull? T7 was dead on with same bullet but factory sabot.

I have zero blow back and all the primers are clean. Fed 209a. Plus these Harvester sabots are much easier to push down the barrel compared to the stock sabots that come with Barnes.

I didn't clean the barrel until I was done shooting, awesome! So much easier.

So thanks again to everyone that helped me through this tune up of my elite. I had a great gun but didn't realize what the possibilitys were. :prayer:

The Elite 45 is one of the absolute gems from Knight. IMO it would be the perfect base for a fast twist 45.

BTW a great fun load are the 180gr Speers or Hornadys with as little as 80gr of BH209.

Re: Clean & accurate 45 elite

I get consistent 1.1" groups @ 200 yds in my bedded/floated .45 Elite with Sst /200 HSB sabot over 120gr BH209@ 2375fps. Coincidentally it also shoots almost as well. (1.25" 3 shot group @200yds with 115 gr BH 209. This is shooting 3 shot group and cleaning after each group.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cljohnson24;
Great shooting, what power scope are you using? Don't think I could group that tight at 200yds with my 3x9 power scope. My crosshair covers the bullseye.

I'm down to about 5 Knights, a few are 45 cal Elites. That's what I used the last 3+ years for hunting. Last Fall I took 3 deer and a coyote with the 200 grain XTP bullet held in the Harvester sabot. I have the 195 grain Barnes too, but have drifted towards the Hornady bullet.

I also have the Lehigh plug, use CCIM primers, my load is 110 grains of B209. I did set up my chronograph a while back, got an average just over 2200 fps. That may of been just over the 110 grain charge, 115 or so. My max has always been 120grains of B209, volume.

Nice M-L you have there.

Back