CLAY PIPES

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember those kind of pipes from the 1960s but it wasn't, AHEM! tobacco that was in the bowl. o_O
OH!! what was it pray tell?? when we were kids way back in the early 50"s we used to buy a corn cob pipe and smoke DRIED CORN SILK in them, also dried bark peelings from WILD GRAPE VINES. harsh gave you a sore thought every time!!! also we took our mothers LIPTON TEA BAGS and smoked them also! GOD, the things that we kids did to make believe we were ADULTS!!!.

was back wash a problem back in the day?? I guess that the next guy on the end of the pipe hade a mouth just as filthy and full of germs as yours? so what the HELL go for it! didn't carry a tooth brush or floss?

broken pipe stems, it is a fact that pipes used in inns had foot long or longer stems so that the next person who used it would break off an inch or so as that the next traveler didn't get germs from the previous user. they were called TAVERN PIPES. using them at the inn kept the traveler from breaking his pipe during the travel on the rough roads.

Sorry, but as an avid pipe smoker I have done a lot of reading on clay pipes (own several reproductions myself, and smoke them too) My findings have been that the old wives tale of taverns snapping the ends off due to "germs" is bunk; you see, they didnt know about "germs" back then.

Now I have not heard the one about 'bad luck', that would hold more water to smoke another's pipe; that would hold more water I suppose.

Most historians just fugure...."They break, what the heck."

Now, to clean (or in the old days; unclog) a clay pipe, just hold over a nice fire and burn it out (WHATCH YOUR FINGERS - HOT!!) it will come out clean as New!!
I do have a nice 80+ year old pipe that a dealer found a box of hidden in a German basement, I got one before they all sold.
While I love a good smoke from a clay pipe, i still prefer a good Briar pipe, but that would not be HC.

Sorry, but as an avid pipe smoker I have done a lot of reading on clay pipes (own several reproductions myself, and smoke them too) My findings have been that the old wives tale of taverns snapping the ends off due to "germs" is bunk; you see, they didnt know about "germs" back then.

Now I have not heard the one about 'bad luck', that would hold more water to smoke another's pipe; that would hold more water I suppose.

Most historians just fugure...."They break, what the heck."

Now, to clean (or in the old days; unclog) a clay pipe, just hold over a nice fire and burn it out (WHATCH YOUR FINGERS - HOT!!) it will come out clean as New!!
I do have a nice 80+ year old pipe that a dealer found a box of hidden in a German basement, I got one before they all sold.
While I love a good smoke from a clay pipe, i still prefer a good Briar pipe, but that would not be HC.
Where did you find your information? I haven't studied clay pipes but I have read a lot about them. I can't find any articles that address that particular subject. I have never found a 100% intact pipe but have lots of pieces from areas known to have been possible trading post areas. To me it makes sense in regard to tavern or house pipes to break off a bit to secure a section that was slobber free. As for germs. No they didn't really know about germs as we do. However, they knew and understood that diseases such as plague , small pox, were always on their mind. I'm sure even the hardiest mountain man took precautions against the unseen. Just asking and just my opinion.

Where did you find your information? I haven't studied clay pipes but I have read a lot about them. I can't find any articles that address that particular subject. I have never found a 100% intact pipe but have lots of pieces from areas known to have been possible trading post areas. To me it makes sense in regard to tavern or house pipes to break off a bit to secure a section that was slobber free. As for germs. No they didn't really know about germs as we do. However, they knew and understood that diseases such as plague , small pox, were always on their mind. I'm sure even the hardiest mountain man took precautions against the unseen. Just asking and just my opinion.
I happen to ask a senior Irish person I know why the clay pipes were so long. The response was at taverns they broke it off as they passed the pipe from one to the other. Didn't give a reason why they did it... other than it was customary.

Dont recall exact reading but most found on Internet at historic sites and at Pipe Maker sites.
One stated they may have snapped end off due to it being clogged and didn't have a good fire handy to burn it out.
Firstly, have you ever tried 'snap the tip off' without losing half or more; not an easy task without some sort of 'cutter'; likely you end up with a poor tip that then needs to be ground and sanded smooth. Not saying it cant be done, but you wont do it with just pliers, flint napper, or a tavern cleaver.
Second; if in a tavern and want a clean pipe for the next customer - then why not step into the kitchen and poke it in the fire; Good as New and none the wiser (plus all germs gone!)

Anyway, these are just some findings I found when searching out information on period clay pipes. I too was first told about taverns snapping off the ends, but after hearing the other side I began questioning.

A friend of mine took a trip (by tall ship no less!) to Torgua a few year ago. He came back with a few shard he picked up, said some areas the streets are practically paved in clay pipe shards. He said the guide told them how they were just 'tossed in the street'; being so fragile and being imported from England is such great quantity and cheap, most didn't think much of it.

But I wont dismiss that some may have cut off ends for various reasons; tradition, clogged, by accident, or perhaps even "germs". - but to just 'snap off the tip', well, good luck with that, more trouble then it's worth especially if a good burning fire is handy.

I rest my case!

As for the Length of a Church Warden....that actually does come from where the name 'Church Warden' comes from; smoking is church was usually not allowed, so the long stem (sometimes up to two feet) could be stuck out the church window...and if so equipped, the 'warden's outside will keep it lit for you!!
Also, the long stems make for a nice 'cool' smoke (I prefer mine in the 7" to 8" range)

Having a "cool smoke" is what I always thought to be the reason behind having a long stemmed pipe.
Sometimes to keep the bugs away I'll toke using a long stemmed pipe so the smoke can clear my wide-brimmed hat.:)

Back