Chronographed Loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went out this morning to clock loads, but when i returned home i found my thread had been deleted. It is my understanding the thread was deleted because the weight of powder was specified.

It seems the weight of powder of used in the load herein must be unspecified.

Five shots were made through the chronograph. The average muzzle velocity of the load is 1974 fps. The three shots on target were shot in a wind and isn't too awful bad.

G_0616.jpg

In the rules...

No topics or discussion about using smokeless powder in a "Black Powder Only" labeled barrel. Black powder and approved substitutes ONLY. Any post even hinting using smokeless powder in a "Black Powder Only" rifle will be deleted.

and approved substitutes
Since Blackhorn209 is 83% smokeless powder, based on the MSD sheet put out by the company that makes it, how did it become an "approved substitute"? Who makes that decision? I am asking because I was granted a patent on April 2nd for the "Self-Ejecting Muzzleloader Safety Cartridge", which is designed to be a "substitute" for Black Powder.

Attachments

• Patent Issued 4-2-2024 SEMLSC.pdf
    419.9 KB · Views: 1
Since Blackhorn209 is 83% smokeless powder, based on the MSD sheet put out by the company that makes it, how did it become an "approved substitute"? Who makes that decision? I am asking because I was granted a patent on April 2nd for the "Self-Ejecting Muzzleloader Safety Cartridge", which is designed to be a "substitute" for Black Powder.

Probably because the powder charge doesn't load from the muzzle with your copy of the firestick.

It kind of takes the fun out of muzzleloading for me.
I can respect that alright. Just as the Firesticks do for me. But for other guys, they are the catsa$$.
Though I'd never ever use them, I'm glad to see the evolution in progress & them being made avail for the guys that want or need to have something like them to keep them from blowing them & their ML up, if for no other reason.

Does this self ejecting cartridge work in any inline muzzleloader? Assuming the cartridge gives strength to the barrel to allow for this? I'm just curious

Yes. The pressure it produces is less than that produced by BH209. This is controlled by the type and weight of the propellant used. The cartridge could also be loaded with the same ingredients found in BH209, for states which require "Black Powder". BH209 is "black", but it is not "Black Powder".

This cartridge is less than 83% smokeless powder, which means it has less smokeless powder than BH209.

Last edited:
It kind of takes the fun out of muzzleloading for me.

This cartridge is not designed for most of the people on this forum. It is designed for the average deer hunter that wants something simple and reliable, which does not corrode the barrel of their deer rifle.

The deer in the photo was killed by my niece's husband, who was using this invention.

Attachments

• Chris W 2023 ML Buck.jpg
    Chris W 2023 ML Buck.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 0
I can respect that alright. Just as the Firesticks do for me. But for other guys, they are the catsa$$.
Though I'd never ever use them, I'm glad to see the evolution in progress & them being made avail for
the guys that want or need to have something like them to keep them from blowing them & their ML up, if for no other reason.
I'm sure they will find a way to!!!!

This cartridge is not designed for most of the people on this forum. It is designed for the average deer hunter that wants something simple and reliable, which does not corrode the barrel of their deer rifle.

The deer in the photo was killed by my niece's husband, who was using this invention.
True, it ain't for me. In my opinion, it's more for the "lazy" deer hunter/shooter than the "average" deer hunter/shooter. Again, just my opinion.

Went out this morning to clock loads, but when i returned home i found my thread had been deleted. It is my understanding the thread was deleted because the weight of powder was specified.

It seems the weight of powder of used in the load herein must be unspecified.

Five shots were made through the chronograph. The average muzzle velocity of the load is 1974 fps. The three shots on target were shot in a wind and isn't too awful bad.

View attachment 43733
We don't talk about Bruno, no no, no!!!!
🤣🤣
In the rules...

No topics or discussion about using smokeless powder in a "Black Powder Only" labeled barrel. Black powder and approved substitutes ONLY. Any post even hinting using smokeless powder in a "Black Powder Only" rifle will be deleted.
Then the line from "A few good men" with Jack Nicholson. The line where he says, you need me on that wall.
😂😂
I know it's weird how my mind works!!!!

In the rules...

What is noticed is how Blackhorn powder costs $80 for a half pound of power.

IMR 3031 costs me about $43 for a pound of powder.

One can easily understand how sweet it is to shoot the IMR 3031 instead of the Blackhorn in a muzzleloader.

Doesn't Ron Laughlin play with TC plugs and vent liners? I'd drop Ron a PM.

Back