changing bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerjackie

Reaction score
I am looking for a pointed bullet to replace hornady 250 gr xtp shooting a knight disc extreme 90 gr loose 777. any suggestions?thanks.

try pr bullets, they have a sale on 40% until midnight fri. off at check out when u buy

deerjackie said:
I am looking for a pointed bullet to replace hornady 250 gr xtp shooting a knight disc extreme 90 gr loose 777. any suggestions?thanks.
HORNADY FTX 325 gr ,458 with MMP orange or Harvester Black Crush Ribbed would be top of my list.

Getting glowing reviews in here are the Harvester 260 PT Golds with the Harvester Black Crush Ribbed. I'm not a fan of sub .452 bullets but a man could do a lot worse!

Edwardamason said:
deerjackie said:
HORNADY FTX 325 gr ,458 with MMP orange or Harvester Black Crush Ribbed would be top of my list.

Getting glowing reviews in here are the Harvester 260 PT Golds with the Harvester Black Crush Ribbed. I'm not a fan of sub .452 bullets but a man could do a lot worse!

This is a good call, however, you may look at the the 300 PT as well. Plus, your Knight will most likely want the Harvester smooth sabot vs the crushed rib. The crushed rib is great for tighter bores like TC's.

The FTX 325 is a great bullet but you'll need to push it harder with a bigger charge to get it to function properly. Some excellent choices for your current charge are the Barnes T-EZ 250........ Harvester PT Gold 260.......Nosler MZ 300. These 3 bullets will all open at lower velocities over longer ranges. Hornady told me that the big FTX needs 1600fps at impact to open properly. Thought it's not my favorite bullet. a lot of guys use the Hornady SST-ML 250 & 300 with success. If you can live without the polymer tip, then the Knight Bloodline is a fantastic bullet. The reason being is that it is a segmenting bullet. As it expands on impact, six petals break off & go in different directions, thru the soft organs & the solid brass base continues thru to make an exit hole. They are devastating bullets, but they are not cheap. Hope this helps- Greg

PS.....I would call Carlos at Ed's Gun Shop & talk with him. He will have a wealth of info & most of the bullets I've listed here as well as any other accessories you may need. 910-692-7936

For more info talk to Sabotloader on this forum. He has a ton of Knight experience.

deerjackie said:

A pointy bullet just recently available is the Nosler Ballistic Tip MZ. Perhaps you could give it a try.

The 44 caliber 300g XTP has a ballistic coefficient nearly as good as any pointy bullet, so flies good. One could consider it instead of a pointy bullet.

The 300g Deep Curl flies pretty good too, for a non pointy bullet.

In my experience bonded bullet hold to gather much better than XTP bullets and the copper and brass bullets are very good but awful expensive for normal shooting and deer.
I recommend you try Shock Wave 250 gr they tend to be much more accurate and consistent than XTP and you can switch to the bonded ones for hunting as they shoot the same. The other good reasonable priced bullet is the 250 grain Deep Curl which has excellent terminal ballistics but is a bit touchy about getting the exact right load.

I have had good luck with the TC shockwave 300 grain bullets. They group very well, and smoke deer. Plus I have driven them hard which results in the inside of the deer turned to jelly.

Just as an added FYI note......Shockwaves & SST-ML's are the same bullet. The only difference is that the SST-ML's switched to the softer flex tip to help with expansion & the Shockwave did not.

bdog said:
try pr bullets, they have a sale on 40% until midnight fri. off at check out when u buy

Looks like only certain bullets on sale? I wanted to get some of there ultimate 1 in .45 to try but when you click the link to "buy online" they aren't listed. :wall:

One of the loads for my Knight disc extreme is 100 grains of loose 777 ffg and a 250 grain tc shockwave. Very accurate load that I use for hunting field edges.

May I ask why you dislike the XTP now? Bad experience?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Thanks ,never expected so much good info,been off here for a while,hope you all had a great Thanksgiving and great Christmas and New Year.This site is top notch as it always has been..

Back