200 gr 40 cal Hornady

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago now spotted a herd of antelope out several hundred yard. Was able to drive, then hunker then crawl until one didn't dare try to get any closer. Ranged at 314 yard was a sleeping pronghorn. One of the Hornady bullets was sent, and we had some of the best eating meat available in all of creation.

Load was 115 grain Blackhorn; 200grain SST or shockwave, Shot was dialed using CDS dial engraved for 2250fps muzzle velocity. Rifle is 45 caliber Omega.

Years back I tried shooting the 195 gr Barnes from my .45 cal Omega with a variety of sabots, powder charges, knurled and un-knurled. Just couldn't find the right load. The 200 gr SST on the other hand shot very well even with magnum loads. I made the mistake of shooting a buck at 60 yds with a 120 vol gr load of Blackhorn 209. The bullet hit a rib and exploded. The deer ran uphill about 70 yds and expired. The entrance side of the deer looked like it was hit with a turkey shot load due to the bullet exploding. There was also a very small exit hole on the opposite site. So I guess the core made it through.

Back