CASE knives....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did it look like this one? The only folder in my meager collection and was told it is a Navy issue knife,,Any help?
I found the forked blade is marked with a upward arrow and 1943 below that. Below them is RICHARDS, SHEFFIELD. Looks like I've been neglecting it. Out to shop for a little cleanup..Out

Kinda hard to find what I still like "Carbon steel blades" in most offshore knives. I guess stainless is alright but I believe that age factor kicked in on this one..Out Here
Some Schrade fixed blades are Carbon Steel, but I, m not sure if they ar offshore or domestic contract knives.

Rough Rider has a couple Carbon Steel knives out.
Moose, Trapper, and Canoe, for sure, and I think a sowbelly stockman.
Two series; the black G10 handled have a dark gray Ti coating (looks like a even patina) and the yellow handled "classic" has polished uncoated blades.

Last edited:
Did it look like this one? The only folder in my meager collection and was told it is a Navy issue knife,,Any help?
What you have is an Italian sailor's knife. I have several which I bought surplus from (Cheaper than Dirt???) They are a bear to open, and will need some serious time with a grind wheel to get an edge on them.

Mine was the Case like Mark1945 shows. A real dandy, and you could get a good edge on them. I remember once when we were high-lining some freight to another destroyer, the cable which the trolley rides on wasn't kept tight and the load dipped into the ocean. Both ships were going 12 knots, side by side and there was no way to keep the line which pulled the load across from following it. This was held tight by 20 of us pulling on it, the last man coiling it down. One of the tenets of seamanship is "don't put your hand or foot in the bight of the line." The guy coiling the line down had ignored this, it wrapped around his leg, and he came shooting down the deck to where the line went through a block (pulley). There was nothing anyone could do except for our 2nd class Bossun's Mate, who whipped out his Case folder, opened it and with one slice cut through that 1" Manila line. Fisher slid right into the block and had a dandy bruise, but at least he kept his leg!

The moral is to always keep your knives sharp!

~WH~

This one is razor sharp with little signs of being used..I surmised the "Forked" blade which is sharp on the inside curved part only was for cutting Canvas? While not a great find I'll probably just put it back in the case but further away from my more "collectibles" LOL..Out here

Out of curiousity, if you carried the Schrade brand of Schrade (as opposed to Imperial, Old Timer, Ulster, Camillus, etc) how many did you return because the blade was loose because the Swendon Key broke?
...The Swendon Key cannot be repaired. The knife can only be replaced. The Camillus made knives used the standard, stronger (and reparable) pin construction.

How many did I return? None. The Swindon key generally broke when someone tried to use the knife as a pry bar rather than a cutting instrument. I used mine as a knife, so mine held up just fine. The knives CAN be repaired, although it is a PITA to do so (see video here: ). I have or have had Schrade, Imperial, Old Timer, and Uncle Henry knives by Schrade, and I too have purchased one or two of the ofshore ones, which are okay knives if you don't mind stainless blades. Theirs seem to be better than most as far as the blades go.

As I recall, the Uncle Henry knives were the ones guaranteed against loss, but you did have to pay a premium to own one, and if you lost the second one you were S.O.L. So, I doubt the warrantee led to their bankruptcy, although it may have been a factor along with putting too many of their eggs in the Swindon basket, so to speak, offshore competition, and fewer folks carrying a knife as a constant companion.

I've had a knife in my pocket pretty much every day of my life from the age of 8 or 10. I grew up on a farm, where a knife was a tool used every day, often several times a day. I'd bet 95+ percent of the "country" kids had a pocket knife with them at school, just like I did. We had chores to do before and after school, and quite often the same jeans that did the chores went to school too. During the '60s in rural Iowa, nobody thought of a pocket knife as a weapon. Rather, it was a tool, a necessary one for most of us. It opened hay bales, skinned coons and muskrats, sliced apples, whittled sticks, and did countless other tasks on the farm. If it drew the blood of a human, it was my own...oops...and I have the scars to prove it, lol. These days, a pocket knive would get you expelled whether used improperly or not.

I understand that offshore stuff is a fact of life these days, but that doesn't mean we have to like it.

How many did I return? ...
I've had a knife in my pocket pretty much every day of my life from the age of 8 or 10. I grew up on a farm, where a knife was a tool used every day, often several times a day. I'd bet 95+ percent of the "country" kids had a pocket knife with them at school, just like I did. ...
I was part of that 95 percent even in the early seventies. If caught with one at school it was taken (then returned after the school day) and we were told not to bring it in to school again. That policy has changed in schools nowadays.

I was part of that 95 percent even in the early seventies. If caught with one at school it was taken (then returned after the school day) and we were told not to bring it in to school again. That policy has changed in schools nowadays.
That is due to parents not parenting, and parents being as whiny as there children. No respect from either!

I've had a knife in my pocket pretty much every day of my life from the age of 8 or 10. I grew up on a farm, where a knife was a tool used every day, often several times a day. I'd bet 95+ percent of the "country" kids had a pocket knife with them at school, just like I did. We had chores to do before and after school, and quite often the same jeans that did the chores went to school too. During the '60s in rural Iowa, nobody thought of a pocket knife as a weapon.
I "grew up" in East Central Iowa.
I've had a knife in my pocket every day since age 4 or 5.
I think starting the 1st or 2nd grade, the teachers and school administration just took it for granted that every boy in class had at least one pocket knife on them (and that 75 to 80% of the girls had one or more in their pockets and/or purse.)
Well do I remember teachers admitting to the class that they "forgot" their knife that day, and ssked the class to loan him or her one. (teacher gave them back, of course, after finishing whatever they needed it for.)

I was raised in a time when a man was nore likely to leave the house without his trousers than without a knife in his pocket.
Knives were tools; not a "weapon". (lets face it: without significant training, a knife makes for a terrible choice for self defense. A cane or hiking stick woukd be a superior choice.)

Back