bullet for an early slow twist MK-85

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnDeere

Reaction score
I've always admired the old MK85's with laminated stocks and recently picked one up in 54 cal. It showed up in the mail yesterday. I see that the front sight is a brass bead and am assuming this is an early MK85. My purpose for the rifle is hunting elk. When possible I like to use full bore, heavier lead. My initial preference would normally lean to the 444 flat point powerbelt. Unlike other's experience I've had great success. I have to use non-plated lead bullets to be legal in Washington. Anyway, does anyone have some bullet/load suggestions in case it truns out to be a slow twist barrel? Usually slow twist means short/fat slugs stabilize better--not my favorite elk bullet description. Also, I was rather hoping to find a powder charge on the hot side, not being afraid to burn powder.

If you have any suggestions for a replacement front ramp fiber optic, I'd love to hear it. My favorite rear peep is the XS (Ashley) Sight Systems ghost ring. Hard to beat a fiber optic front in our gloomy reprod.

Thanks, guys.

John

I have one!

I have one of the old MK-85 stainless in .54 cal which I bought new in 86-87 and of all the rifles that have been through my hands over the years, that one has never left me....it is the most accurate ML I have ever fired.....this rifle will shoot MOA with pratically any bullet you put in it.....but I believe it has a 1:28 twist which is not slow! It's preferred powder charge is 115 grains of BlackMag3. I started with full size conicals and the Hornady Great Plains 425 grain worked well.....the best bullets I have used for both accuracy and game performance is the Harvester 400 grain and 330 grain hard cast flat nose bullets.....the Barnes .54/.50 sabot/copper hollow point in 275 grain or 325 grain shoot extremely well as well but are expensive. Hope this helps!

Thanks, Bluedog. I had just heard that the early MK85's were slow twist numbers and assumed I had better be prepared for slug stabilization problems. I've always meant to try Harvester's hard cast. Guess I can probably look down the bore of this MK85 I just got and compare it to the bore of my T/C that I know to be a fast twist. The difference in appearance ought to be pretty obvious. I once saw a post on this forum that claimed the earliest MK85's had 1 in 66" twists, that moved to a 1 in 32" twist, that settled on a 1 in 28" twist.

John

Latest posts

Back